+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Mythbusters does Hi-Fi.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I am a great believer that every perceived change' that is witnessed by at least more than one person can be explained, if we know what to look for; as far as measurement and test, there is no Magic implied by those of us who do actualy believe in what we are hearing,we just need to look further into things that we currently perhaps dont associate with such changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    I might be convinced by the subjectivist argument if there was an example where an instinctive reaction managed to prove the physics wrong. Or rather the interpretation of the physics in that context. I have asked this before and have not been given an example. Here is a hypothetical situation. Someone says cable risers improve the sound quality of their speakers. A scientist says this cannot be true because the physics says it is impossible for the sound to change just by lifting the wire. Later another scientist does an experiment where he discovers that the impedance of the cable changes when it is raised off the ground. He finds an effect, and proves it scientifically, that previously was thought to be impossible. In this case the subjective judgement leads to a change in the scientific understanding. Obviously this is a made up scenario, but has it ever happened in reality?
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Good thread idea Jez, I have really enjoyed your "teaching" so far and am looking forward to the next chapter (althought I doubt much will "stick" between my ears)

Andy
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Andrew.

I would imagine that in the early days of hi-fi people were ' accidentally' discovering all sorts of stuff. Later the physics would explain what was happening. But back then when all was new probably no one bothered arguing about the physics of it. And of course the cynicism wouldn't have been there because the snake oil salesmen hadn't put people on their guard. It's more recent examples im interested in.

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I wonder whether any myth busting was actually required prior to the advent of two channel?
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Dennis.

In post 50 Andrew you have chosen an example which is patently untrue to validate an assertion.

But what you describe in principle is exactly what happens in scientific discovery; a subjective assertion is made, and someone with patience works at it and discovers an underlying principle, or more usually nothing.

Surely the scientific process was prompted by the human need to understand his environment in order to better control it for his survival. Even a snapping twig in the forest near a tribal home, prompts enquiry.

Having recently seen some 'hosepipes' raised on 'electric rail supoorts', which were all massive, I take it that you are ignoring the direct acoustic effects in your example.

I'm Andrew.

I'm a little confused by your response Dennis. I'm not making an assertion, just using an invented scenario as a way of describing a potential example where the science ends up proving a subjective assertion. I realise in this case the science has not done so, who knows it might in the future, but is typical of the kind of situation that leads to argument. I'm not completely opposed to a subjective argument just wary of statements that appear to fly in the face of all logic or science. My interest is genuine, l would like to know about recent discoveries where a subjectivel assertion that appears to defy all scientific logic is then proven to be scientifically correct. When you say direct acoustic effects do you mean the behaviour of sound waves in the room being altered by the raising of the cable?

I'm Jez.

Thread abandoned.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

But we haven't got to the good stuff yet. I wanted you to disprove cable lifters, damn it all.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

???
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Thread abandoned.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    But we haven't got to the good stuff yet. I wanted you to disprove cable lifters, damn it all.
    Can you use those with headphones?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast