+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tonearm for Spacedeck TT's...?

I'm Simon.

Default Tonearm for Spacedeck TT's...?

Thinking my next upgrade will be a new tonearm for my Ace Spacedeck TT. I'm currently using an old-ish (circa early-mid 00's) Rega RB-300. This is completely stock, not even a counterweight change. Since getting my first ''proper'' TT in 2010, this is the only arm I've had so I'm a little unsure about the whole thing and there is a lot of stuff out there!

This will be 3-6 months away most likely so time to decide, just want to get some rough ideas down of what to look for incase a bargain pops up.

Not sure if I want to go unipivot or not. Would need to be able to handle my current cart (Adikt, 7g), so possibly looking for around 5-10g recommended cart weight for the arm. Would like to go MC in the near future too, possibly an AT33ptg/ii I have my eye on.

Ease of set-up, with decent VTA, VTF and hopefully azimuth adjustments would be nice. Don't want something too fiddly, but then want to be able to dial it in properly and leave it. The Rega doesn't have much in the way of adjustments so can be quite limiting there.

Budget probably around £7-800, although could possibly go to a grand for the right thing.

Worth getting the RB300 re-wired, new counterweight,etc or better to use that money on something better?

I'm Dave.

Natural choice would be a Notts Ace Space arm. Obviously made for the Spacedeck and designed to be used with Decca cartridges.

I'm Simon.

Thanks Dave. I did look at the Notts arms. Will need to read up more but not sure if I want unipivot.

I've also looked at the Roksan Nima which seems to get good reviews, although that is a unipivot too.

I'm mark.

I prefered Tabriz's over Nima, although I've only heard space decks at friends so can't comment on compatibility. Audiomods is a popular recommendation too and possibly the best Rega based arm?*

* I've got Tabriz's & Audiomods and think the biggest difference is copper vs silver wiring.

I'm Dave.

The Notts arm don't feel like unipivots. I can't stand the wobbly, shaky, floaty feel of the majority of unipivots but the Notts arms have a pivot arrangement which feels like a conventional pivoted arm, so they feel solid and secure.

If you use a Decca, then they are the ideal match. I always have a 10 inch Ace Space arm and a 12 inch Anna on demo.

I'm Shaun.

How about the range by Origin Live which I am obviously going to mention. There is bound to be one for your budget and a straight swap with your Rega as the mounting geometry is the same. Very well engineered tonearms.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Looking at the Nima as a ton-up Formula 4 (which is basically what it appears to be ), I have an issue with the prices charged (an ongoing thing and it's probably just me...

The RB300 sounded better on a Spacedeck than I've ever heard it, with a genuinely 'free' quality it lacked elsewhere quite often imo, but it wasn't as good on my Mentor as the Mentor tonearm and it didn't stay there long. All ancient history now as Rega have developed the arm a good bit in every way and the NAS decks have had subtle development too.

The NAS arms have very low friction 'stabilisers' to prevent the uni-pivot 'rock' which afflicts other undamped uni's (the ARO being the worst of all deliberately!). It's a delight to handle and uses a Rega derived cueing device I think, so no worries there. Few here know (or seem to care much) just how good these decks and arms are and how truthful to what's really on the vinyl they can be, as they don't have Swiss-style bling finish on them. I don't know now if I'll ever be able to try an NAS arm on its own (I think standard bases may be available, but I'm long out of it now), but they really were very good indeed I remember and a perfect sonic and design match for the deck in original form - I'm assuming it's not an Ace Space or has the 'Heavy Kit' on it.
    Last edited by DSJR; 21-07-2017 at 12:40.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    How about the range by Origin Live which I am obviously going to mention. There is bound to be one for your budget and a straight swap with your Rega as the mounting geometry is the same. Very well engineered tonearms.
    +1
    I used to own the OL Silver mk3a, (on my Gyrodec SE) good sounds & has a VTA adjuster for £675 direct from OL.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Take a good donor arm, add a severe midrange resonance and VOILA! you have a more 'exciting' sound... Not for me thanks very much. the best bodged Rega at sensible money is arguably the Techno-Arm, where genuine things have been done to try to further quality control and refine the old RB250 base product.

You know, a Rega 303 may well be all you need, although a different mounting collet will be needed..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Simon.

That Origin Live Silver looks good, will have to look deeper at that one and also the Notts arms.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast