+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable turntable isolation feet/spikes for a Thorens td150

I'm Patrick.

Default Adjustable turntable isolation feet/spikes for a Thorens td150

I'm looking at getting some isolation feet/spikes for my Thorens td150. I want to fit adjustable ones as I want to keep the turntable level. I've seen pics of ones fitted with gold/silver spikes that look decent, anyone able to point me in the right direction?

I'm Geoff.

Spikes don't isolate. They do the opposite. Probably a good idea with a suspended subchassis deck like the TD150.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Spikes don't isolate. They do the opposite. Probably a good idea with a suspended subchassis deck like the TD150.
    Tell me more! Are you saying spikes don't isolate but that they are still a good idea with the turntable? Or that spikes are not going to isolate but that some other form of feet isolation would be appropriate?

I'm inactive.

I used a set of these under my Braun TT (also has a suspended chassis) - the base already had embedded threads though...

Knurled feet

Only require the addition of a nut to facilitate adjustment - work well - look good ... and dirt cheap.

I'm Geoff.

Spikes don't isolate. They concentrate all downwards weight through a solid single point and rigidly connect the deck to the surface below. The TD150 already has its isolation in the form of subchassis suspension. By using spikes you would be making the base more rigidly connected to the shelf or stand you use. If you add soft isolating feet to it, you introduce another compliance, with unpredictable results. It could benefit or produce harmonic reactions between the subchassis suspension and the soft feet. You won't find out unless you try it. But it's not something I'd do.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm shahrin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Spikes don't isolate. They concentrate all downwards weight through a solid single point and rigidly connect the deck to the surface below. The TD150 already has its isolation in the form of subchassis suspension. By using spikes you would be making the base more rigidly connected to the shelf or stand you use. If you add soft isolating feet to it, you introduce another compliance, with unpredictable results. It could benefit or produce harmonic reactions between the subchassis suspension and the soft feet. You won't find out unless you try it. But it's not something I'd do.
    This is something i dont understand.
    Perhaps in broad terms Geoff what sort of feet should decks like the 150/125/LP12 have against the feet that a 124 or garrard in a heavy plinth should have.
    Sorry if this is a bit of a hijack
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by drSM View Post
    This is something i dont understand.
    Perhaps in broad terms Geoff what sort of feet should decks like the 150/125/LP12 have against the feet that a 124 or garrard in a heavy plinth should have.
    Sorry if this is a bit of a hijack
    Whatever works. It's all down to experimentation.

Turntable mounted rigidly into solid plinths may benefit from the use of resilient feet, to slightly decouple them from whatever they stand on. Be it a shelf or stand, etc.

Turntables like the Thorens and Linn already have the 'mechanics' of the turntable isolated to a degree and may not require decoupling and may respond better with hard feet, like spikes.

I'm Phil.

This is something I'm tussling with at the moment...in fact, I've just yesterday purchase a set of spikes for my TT.

Is there a definitive answer to the question of what a TT should have under it? I don't think I've ever seen a concensus of opinion one way or another.

My TT (an Acoustic Research 'The Turntable') has rubber feet screwed into the base. I'm planning to replace these with the spikes and then mount the rubber feet 'neath an Ikea butcher's block, which will, of course, have the TT on top of it.

The thing my systems sits on has glass shelves, which I've read can have a detrimental effect upon sound.

Am I heading in the right direction or is this all sheer folly?

I'm shahrin.

Thanks Geoff
    currently i have a 124 in a pretty heavy plinth sitting on 4 sorbothane hemispheres abt 4 cm diameter.They certainly isolate the tt from resonances from the shelf, but i ve seen heavy plinths with spikes so ...
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Geoff.

I keep my pretty hefty Toshiba SR-370 on its standard rubber feet on a rigid wall shelf and that works fine for me. Although I have used varying feet ideas with other turntables.

Oddly, I find Sorbothane feet work well under my CD player and DAC. The sound seems steadier and cleaner that way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast