+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To sub or not to sub...

I'm Serf.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Why don't you just assemble a club PA system?
    It sounds like you need bass bins, not a subwoofer.
    Not sure how to take that. Why would you assume I want it to sound like a club?
    Nothing constructive?.....keep it.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

The slam you're lacking is in the low midband - your speakers go down to 20Hz, and your room is big enough to permit the generation of long wavelengths.
    Lack of low bass is not your problem.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Serf.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The slam you're lacking is in the low midband - your speakers go down to 20Hz, and your room is big enough to permit the generation of long wavelengths.
    Lack of low bass is not your problem.
    I believe it goes down to 25Hz

I'm Martin.

True that 'club bass' and deep bass are not the same thing. My speakers will do club bass even though they roll off steeply below 40Hz

I think you will not find it easy integrating subs with those speakers you have. I mean it isn't easy with any speakers, but given they already go so low you might find cancelation effects cause issues. Not saying it cannot be done, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by djEmpire View Post
    I believe it goes down to 25Hz
    You're right - I misread what it says on the Bryston website.
    The other point I made still stands.
    There's also this to consider https://www.acousticfields.com/wavel...-in-our-rooms/
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Martin.

Other options rather than a sub might be digital eq, do it before the DAC, obviously. For vinyl change the cart for something a bit more 'bouncy' in the bass. Or run the vinyl through the digital eq. A perfectly flat in room response will sound bass light due to Fletcher Munson curve. Beefing up the really low bass won't do it because the bass you want to emphasise is in the 70-200 hz range. Trying to augment that with a sub is a bit of a crude solution and you will need a sub where you can adjust both high and low pass to even attempt it.

One other issue I have encountered before is that in improving the bass you can lose something in the mid-range, with a passive system anyway.

If it were me I'd still start by trying a different speaker cable since that is cheap and easy. Simple guide is the thicker the cable, the more bass emphasis you get. But as above, beefing up the bass can spoil the mids.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12