+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do valves burn in?

I'm Clive.

There are plenty more who can comment....but whatever the design it's down to how good it is and how well it's executed. Feedback can work on some amps but it has to be done well.

Without feedback you make the amp less likely cope with some types of loads and it's spec may look poorer but you should gain on harmonic representation, overall feel of air and space without tiring harshness. Horses for courses and a lot depends on your speakers,
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Feedback is used in SS amps because it has to be. Triodes on the other hand, are linear enough to be used without feedback. In fact, DHT's are still the most linear amplifying device yet made.

I'm Shaun.

The finest amplifier I have ever heard was a WAD 300B PP valve amplifier which had no feedback but which had a switch to enable it to be switched in or out. With the feedback switched out the space and atmosphere was staggering but with it switched in all of that was lost. I always used it with no feedback. That amplifier was just so pure and open and spacious it was almost unreal. I have never heard the likes of it since.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345