+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Denon DL-S1 on a Jelco 750

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    Ok, did not realize that you did not have the stock on hand.

As you have both the Denon and Orsonic now, try them out, but definitely with fluid damping engaged.

If it doesn't work out, another lighter headshell would be in order; the Isokinetic SM would not make any more sense than the Orsonic under the circumstances obviously.
    Yep that's what I'll be doing.
    If memory serves the Isokinetik headshell is a Jelco HS-25 with better wires so should weigh the same as the stock Jelco at 12g but Isokinetik website doesn't give the info. After taking yonks to get the DH-103 setup bang on in my Iso SM headshell I'm not taking it apart to weigh it.
    Thanks for all the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Blake.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Yep that's what I'll be doing.
    If memory serves the Isokinetik headshell is a Jelco HS-25 with better wires so should weigh the same as the stock Jelco at 12g but Isokinetik website doesn't give the info. After taking yonks to get the DH-103 setup bang on in my Iso SM headshell I'm not taking it apart to weigh it.
    Thanks for all the info.

I understand completely! I am like that too-once set up I do not want to mess with it!

The Iso headshell does appear to be a Jelco HS 30 and various E-Bay sellers of that one list it at 16 or 16.7 grams so it is a heavyweight as well.

Stock Jelco is indeed 12 grams, about 13 with mounting hardware and typical leads-I have weighed that one!

Good luck!

I'm Stephen.

I understand completely! I am like that too-once set up I do not want to mess with it!

The Iso headshell does appear to be a Jelco HS 30 and various E-Bay sellers of that one list it at 16 or 16.7 grams so it is a heavyweight as well.

Stock Jelco is indeed 12 grams, about 13 with mounting hardware and typical leads-I have weighed that one!

Good luck!
    Thanks for the info on the Iso SM mass - very helpful. I'll probably go for a standard 12g Jelco HS-25 - I've got a nice set of VDH headshell leads I can use with it.

Always a little further

I'm Blake.

Thanks for the info on the Iso SM mass - very helpful. I'll probably go for a standard 12g Jelco HS-25 - I've got a nice set of VDH headshell leads I can use with it.

If I can make a suggestion (having used both), spending a bit more for the Yamamoto HS4 Carbon Fibre headshell will get you a performance boost well beyond what you would expect from the extra 40-50 GBP.

The HS4 is also fully adjustable in terms of azimuth which is a must have as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamamoto-HS-...4AAOSwo4pYCDd5

I'm Stephen.

If I can make a suggestion (having used both), spending a bit more for the Yamamoto HS4 Carbon Fibre headshell will get you a performance boost well beyond what you would expect from the extra 40-50 GBP.

The HS4 is also fully adjustable in terms of azimuth which is a must have as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamamoto-HS-...4AAOSwo4pYCDd5
    Many thanks for that - given the cost / performance of the DL-S1 a bit more on a headshell is small beer

Always a little further

I'm Stephen.

So I have the answer and it's an emphatic yes!
    I've installed the DL-S1 in a Yamamoto HS-4 and swapped the OEM headshell wires for a set of Cardas I had lying around.
    I had to swap out my Isokinetik heavy counterweight for the Jelco standard one as the new cartridge/headshell is so much lighter than my DH-103 and Goldbug Brier.
    Lateral resonance is around 8Hz using the HFN test disc so theory and reality agree on this one!
    VTF is 1.5g and bias <1 - tracking is rock solid sailing through the HFN test tracks.
    More importantly it sounds superb using the Denon AU-302 SUT at 40 ohms loading and no issues with gain with the Croft 25RS either.
    Only played a couple of tracks but instantly impressed by the dynamics and musicality.

Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12