So I was chatting with Jez (Arkless) today about him possibly finishing of a part built linear PSU I have (using Paul Hynes regulators etc).

Jez is happy to look at the PSU but did mention that I would not notice any difference. I have not tried to use a linear PSU on any audio product after using a switched mode PSU so I don't have a firm view on this. However I imagine some AoS members have so would appreciate hearing what differences (if any) were obvious.

Of course I have looked at the interweb thingy and see opinions all over the place but with a slight tendency towards an improvement for well built linear PSUs. I certainly don't understand the electrical theory behind all this - but I do have well tuned ears.

My particular application is for my HTPC and a Paul Pang USB card. Currently I'm using a Leicke switched PSU for the HTPC which, to me, sounds just fine. The Paul Pang card needs a separate 5v supply and I was hoping that the linear PSU I have would power that. My power amps, preamp and dac I have all have linear PSUs already.

So grateful to hear of anyone's experience when switching from a switched PSU to a linear PSU (or the other way round) on an audio item?

cheers