+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Linear vs Switched mode PSU

I'm Jez.

I was asked the other day to outline what was put by the poster as "The world of hi fi according to Jez"..... a rather pejorative description I think as I would personally put it more as "the true world of hi fi". Much to my surprise Marco encouraged it!

So, on the understanding that I will put things in my own phraseology, which apparently some find "abrasive", others refreshingly honest, I will start such a thread and make switch mode V linear supplies the first topic.

Marco, I hope you are reading this! If I am "not allowed" to, for example, INSIST that something which is impossible, and would break the laws of physics, remains impossible even if several "golden eared" types claim to hear it, and that therefore the only viable explanation is a lively imagination, then I will not start the thread. I would see it as a "lecture", "teach in" or "master class" rather than a debate and, to use a medical analogy, if I were a doctor giving a lecture on health and the environment, I would not be willing to begin it on the understanding that "Oh, Dr Arkless, a quick word, some of our audience believe that people get sick due to evil leprechauns cursing the grass the cows eat and may not take kindly to being told that is impossible...could you skirt around that bit, maybe say it's open to various interpretations?"
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Edward.

So, anyone with any experience between switched and linear PSUs? Before and after? Or even after and before?

By the way whilst I mull over a linear PSU does anyone have a recommendation for a 5v (2a) switched PSU (wallmart type is fine) I can use for my USB card? Something that has voltage protection as I don't want to fry my Paul Pang USB card.

@Jez, looking forward to your new thread of "The true world of HiFi - by Jez".
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    So, anyone with any experience between switched and linear PSUs? Before and after? Or even after and before?

By the way whilst I mull over a linear PSU does anyone have a recommendation for a 5v (2a) switched PSU (wallmart type is fine) I can use for my USB card? Something that has voltage protection as I don't want to fry my Paul Pang USB card.

@Jez, looking forward to your new thread of "The true world of HiFi - by Jez"
    lol I would prefer just "The true world of hi fi"! Including the by Jez in the quotation marks would imply it being just my opinion whereas the laws of physics go rather beyond personal opinion.

As a "teaser" on the first topic (could be all you'll get if I'm advised not to go ahead with it!), yes, as a huge generalisation, linear regulated supplies are the best and are better than SMPS, BUT, A/ SMPS vary hugely in how good they are. B/ And more importantly, equipment being powered varies by maybe 10,000 to 1 in how sensitive it is to its power supply!

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    "The world of hi fi according to Jez"
    That would make a great series.

Edward, I went from a 5v switched supply for my RPi 2 (stock one it comes with) to a HDPlex Linear PS and if there was a difference it was subtle. I mainly got it for the multiple outputs so I can connect all my stuff to 1 supply that needs DC power input.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    That would make a great series.

Edward, I went from a 5v switched supply for my RPi 2 (stock one it comes with) to a HDPlex Linear PS and if there was a difference it was subtle. I mainly got it for the multiple outputs so I can connect all my stuff to 1 supply that needs DC power input.
    Thanks Simon - interesting you only noticed a subtle difference if that. Yes I did consider the HDPlex PSU but I already have all the bits for a linear PS so was interested in going for that. But perhaps the improvement in audio will not be there (according to "The true world of HiFi".)

By the way I see most PSUs for the Raspberry are 5.1v - however I see that this one is 5v (2A) so maybe I can get that one and cross my fingers?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Jez.

Thanks Simon - interesting you only noticed a subtle difference if that. Yes I did consider the HDPlex PSU but I already have all the bits for a linear PS so was interested in going for that. But perhaps the improvement in audio will not be there (according to "The true world of HiFi".)

By the way I see most PSUs for the Raspberry are 5.1v - however I see that this one is 5v (2A) so maybe I can get that one and cross my fingers?
    I nearly suggested a raspberry pi PSU earlier....

I'm Edward.

I placed an order for the Raspberry PSU. Let's see how that will work. I will need to snip the USB connector and connect wires. Hopefully I will get the polarity correct. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I placed an order for the Raspberry PSU. Let's see how that will work. I will need to snip the USB connector and connect wires. Hopefully I will get the polarity correct. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Hopefully you will.
    If you get it wrong you might release the majick smoke.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I wish I had a tenner for every time I've visited a foo believing hi fi enthusiast and within seconds of the first track starting I've been able to say that the speakers are out of phase.... or a tweeter has blown altogether on one channel and there's nothing above 3KHz on that channel....
    And what about the other times that the person you are with is not a fucking idiot and none of your suggestions apply...?

I'm matt.

Ok, not a switched mode vs linear PSU rant but the regulation used Is the most Important aspect of a linear supply.

If I hadn't of tried Teddyregs I would have said differences In power supplies are subtle at best. Previous to those I'd tried Tentlabs shunt regs and ALW Super regs.
    Teddyregs were started by Teddy Pardo over at Pinkfishmedia and the regulator developed and Improved with suggestions from some of the more clever electronic gurus. Once It was realised that they were very good, a group buy was started for pcbs.
    I used them In my old Naim style preamp (Starfish) but the girlfriend kept nagging me about all the ugly black boxes, so I sold all my modded Naim gear and just kept the Onix OA21 Integrated amp (Unfortunately Onix has knowhere near the dynamics).

For anyone who's thinking "Yea but I don't care much for Naim", The 2d, harsh but somehow dull at the same time Naim sound was completely gone with my old system. Wish I could get my old preamp back. Some lucky bugger over at Zerogain bought It

I still use Teddyregs In my Dacmagic (along with a PFM flea) and I'm very very happy with the results.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast