+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Linear vs Switched mode PSU

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I think Jez is referring to the fact that his units have very high PSRR, so are pretty much immune from the effects of a SMPS. However, the impact on the entire audio chain may tell another story.
    Indeed - and that is *precisely* my argument!

Forget about the deleterious sonic effect on the item itself, fitted with an SMPS, (if it's been designed suitably well enough to reject it), but consider instead the potential knock-on effect on the rest of the system components, connected to the same mains supply...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Richard.

Yes, but...but...but... is there an easy and cheap way of measuring the mains noise one supposedly gets from switching mode supplies?
    ( I have two linear PSs for my Caiman and Pi but not for my NAS which is on the same ring main as is my router).

Has anyone bought or hired one of these:
    http://www.emfields-solutions.com/detectors/detekta.asp

Thanks

Richard
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Anthony, as an experienced audio designer yourself, what's your view on if any SMPS, no matter how well designed, can ever be as 'clean' and non-polluting, on a shared mains supply, as a top-quality linear unit?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Starterman View Post
    Yes of course you can ask

Actually there are no secret or special parts in it...

An EI core transformer (mine is a 30VA pcb mount split bobbin type, but a C-core would probably be fine) - don't use a toroidal one, the sound is horrible.
    Use centre tapped FW rectifiers (2 diodes). The diodes should have low slope resistance. Soft recovery might be a benefit, speed is not critical. The diodes are fine on the board below.
    This is a good sounding reg:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-low-...8AAOSwo8hTnqIV
    You will need to use the 0V connection to effect the 2-diode rectifier and lift a couple of the on-board diodes' legs.

The LT3042 board on ebay is also supposed to be good. I haven't tried it. I did try an mravica reg off DIYAudio - not to my taste.
    I know I asked but not being an EE what you said sounds incredible - but way way over my head.

Mind you the 'thing' you linked to looks quite like the 'thing' I have. Am looking for a kind local soul to put it all together for me.

Among the various parts I already have to complete the LPSU are two Paul Hynes regulators one of which is shown below. The only things missing are a couple of heatsinks and a kind person to solder it all together.

Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Christopher.

Would a bake off be the most obvious way to draw some conclusions?

Whichever sounds the best is, erm...best?

Does it need to be any more complicated than that?

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post

Mind you the 'thing' you linked to looks quite like the 'thing' I have. Am looking for a kind local soul to put it all together for me.
    I would happily solder it for you, but I'm in Leeds.

I'm Edward.

:-) let's see how things pan out.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Luke.

Is there such a thing as a half decent consumer SMPS (non-DIY), somewhere between the cost of an IFI iPower (£50) and a cheap bog standard Chinese wallwart? Something with half decent design and components that doesn't cost the Earth?

I'm thinking of something around 5v 3a for my Pi + DAC, but am not completely convinced on the bang-for-buck of the IFI, and wondered if there were any less costly alternatives? Haven't seen anything so far, but then, i don't really know what I'm searching for, or even if it exists?!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Starterman View Post
    The 0.22R resistor Naim uses means the DF is similar to that of the ST100 (and similar PP valve amps).
    Most SS amps have much higher DF.
    If you are suggesting Radford sounds like Naim then you haven't heard one.

As for the SMPS question I too would be interested to know of any quality SMPS approaches - any view on 'stiffness' / low noise in a SMPS (and where to find one off the shelf that does?)

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    If you are suggesting Radford sounds like Naim then you haven't heard one.

As for the SMPS question I too would be interested to know of any quality SMPS approaches - any view on 'stiffness' / low noise in a SMPS (and where to find one off the shelf that does?)
    What does Naim sound like?
    Actually I have never owned anything made by Naim (except a rather naff CD of some bloke with an acoustic guitar), however I have experimented witih their circuits at length and there are some interesting ideas lurking in there. IME experience different implementations of the same basic circuit can sound very different indeed.

On the Radford topic. Yes I have heard the STA25 at length. A fine amp!
    I have also owned a Beard P100. Pile of junk - sounds more soild state than most ss amps!
    My main amp is a KT88 PP amp.

It's not wise to generalise (but it is fun).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast