+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Linear vs Switched mode PSU

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    There is only one "measurement" that I apply to HiFi, and that is long-term listening enjoyment. Sitting down and critiquing a system for an afternoon is not that.
    I have to agree with you again, I don't recall ever sitting and listening to a system that belonged to a friend or aquintance and mentioning anything I might not have liked about it. It's their taste not mine, it is much more enjoyable to discuss what I do like about it.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Overall a mixed picture I'm guessing
    My take is that the quality of the design and the parts used is far more important than the type of supply it is - a good SMPS will be just as good as a good LPSU. Having said that I still filter my mains so all LPSU are on one regenerator and all SMPS are on another - just to cover all the bases.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadish View Post
    ...a good SMPS will be just as good as a good LPSU.
    My concern is over what the 'S' stands for in 'SMPS'.

How much will the switching effect in any SMPS (even the best ones) inject interference/noise into the mains supply that my precious hi-fi components are ultimately sharing with it......??

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Richard.

How do we know if out SMPS units are injecting noise (besides using one's ears and guessing)?

Is there a cheap way of objectively measuring it? (I'd imagine one uses an oscilloscope - and there are cheapish ones on eBay -but if that's all one can use - are they any good?)

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    How do we know if out SMPS units are injecting noise (besides using one's ears and guessing)?
    As a subjectivist, Richard, I just use my ears.

One such recent experience was simply having a quality linear PSU built for the Seagate hard-drives, suppling music files to my Raspberry Pi streamer, which replaced their stock (el-cheapo) SMPS units, and which had a significant marked effect on the SQ of the Pi, simply by removing the noise that the stock SMPS units were pumping into the mains.

Honestly, I was utterly shocked at the level of sonic improvement gained, which ably showed just how shit those mass-produced SMPS units are. Just think about what all the other ones are doing inside TVs, SKY boxes, fridges, computers, phone chargers, you name it, which are currently plugged into your mains...!

I also obtained similar benefit in replacing the SMPS unit for the RPi itself with a quality linear one, from Paul Hynes (his SR3DR-05). If switching noise could be measured, and thus confirmed objectively, then even better, but either way I'll always judge these things with my ears and experience

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andy.

Putting my router and NAS on the same regenerator as the rest of my system caused a dreadful clouding of the sound, so they got moved off again pretty quick! But then my NAD M51 never seemed to cause any trouble, and nor did the little SMPS that came with my Caiman, so either it depends on how much power they draw or some are less trouble than others.

...or the SMPS in your NAD (for example) was designed better, and of superior quality, to the ones used in your router and NAS? And that was why it didn't appear to cause a negative sonic effect.

That's why I'd like Jez to confirm how much cleaner SMPS units are in top-quality hi-fi equipment, compared with those commonly found on inferior consumer goods, and crucially, if they can ever be as clean [let's call it 'kind' on the mains supply] as a top-notch linear design...

However, the negative experience you've outlined mirrors my own, which shows that you should always keep the 'noisiest' components in your system well away from the rest!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Neil.

I think Jez is referring to the fact that his units have very high PSRR, so are pretty much immune from the effects of a SMPS. However, the impact on the entire audio chain may tell another story.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    . However, the impact on the entire audio chain may tell another story.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    May I ask what was your solution please?
    Yes of course you can ask

Actually there are no secret or special parts in it...

An EI core transformer (mine is a 30VA pcb mount split bobbin type, but a C-core would probably be fine) - don't use a toroidal one, the sound is horrible.
    Use centre tapped FW rectifiers (2 diodes). The diodes should have low slope resistance. Soft recovery might be a benefit, speed is not critical. The diodes are fine on the board below.
    This is a good sounding reg:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-low-...8AAOSwo8hTnqIV
    You will need to use the 0V connection to effect the 2-diode rectifier and lift a couple of the on-board diodes' legs.

The LT3042 board on ebay is also supposed to be good. I haven't tried it. I did try an mravica reg off DIYAudio - not to my taste.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast