+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Linear vs Switched mode PSU

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    I think you might be referring to a circuit that Hitachi published for their complementary power MOSFETs. Maplin used to sell a very popular power amp kit that used the Hitachi circuit and I made an amp with a pair of them many years ago. It was actually a very good amp but I've heard better since then.

Yes, I agree. Power amp distortion is most often quoted at full - or nearly full - power output, but what about what's happening at the other end of the power spectrum? In my opinion that's more important.
    I built those as well. Pretty good amps yes. The commercial Hitachi amps were a little different though. I remember showing them working with a sig gen and scope for a 6th form science open night! That design from Hitachi USA applications department surely has to be the most used/copied in all of hi-fi! Obviously it was put in the public domain to encourage sales of Hitachi power mosfets but it was used by Musical Fidelity, Perreaux, Myst, Inca Tech to name just a few...

On your second point I quite agree. So does Pass Labs with their "First Watt" stuff.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Chris.

Jez, are there any components you can hear a sonic difference with. I am thinking capacitors, resistors etc

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Starterman View Post
    Putting the defeinition of "voicing" to one side, I think you missed the point about the extra resistor in the Naim/NCC circuit. It adds even order distortion (actually it's rather clever, it makes the LTP act more like a singleton input at ac whist retaining the excellent dc characteristics of an LTP) and alters the sound significantly. All this is at a level below the supposed audibility level for distortion. I cettainly the prefer the higher distortion version and I suspect >90% would if they did the experiment.

How does that fit with your research?

BTW, I also have a compoung chip amp with ppm levels of THD. It's far from my favourite amp.
    Trust Naim to build a nice bit of kit then stick a resistor that buggers the sound up ... I suppose there's a £££ 'upgrade' to take it out again? :P

... I'll get ma jaikit ....

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good point. If you listen mostly to artificially created (electronic) music, for instance, then the traditional notion of 'accurate' goes out of the window, so how can one then use it as an arbiter for such?

For me, it's dead simple: the better my hi-fi system reproduces the real sound of instruments and voices (as perceived by my ears), the more I enjoy listening to recorded music featuring such. Ultimately, it's all about experiencing my notion of musical realism, and therefore what's heard in that respect, can only ever be judged subjectively by me, or perhaps also by others whose notion of such is similar.

Therefore, the enjoyment I derive from my hi-fi system is directly proportional to how well it achieves the above. I'd imagine that it's the same for most people

Marco.
    In electronic music there are still a lot of recognisable sounds, an 808 kick, the infamous 808 cowbell, Yamaha FM basses (Lately Bass especially), AKAI samplers had their own stamp on the sound, use of Roland Juno synths for dance music etc. Some people still use hardware to make electronic music, all the better for it, once in software it all changes, and so do the reference points - 'cleaner' and more clinical too in software.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Jez, are there any components you can hear a sonic difference with. I am thinking capacitors, resistors etc

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    90% of nth degree changes audiophiles claim to hear are non existent and due purely to the imagination.
    How many % distortion does there need to be from your SET's before you hear it?
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    In electronic music there are still a lot of recognisable sounds, an 808 kick, the infamous 808 cowbell, Yamaha FM basses (Lately Bass especially), AKAI samplers had their own stamp on the sound, use of Roland Juno synths for dance music etc. Some people still use hardware to make electronic music, all the better for it, once in software it all changes, and so do the reference points - 'cleaner' and more clinical too in software.
    No worries, Neil, and noted. My point was simply that it's ultimately all artificially created, unlike say, the sound of an acoustic guitar.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    90% of nth degree changes audiophiles claim to hear are non existent and due purely to the imagination.
    That's good then because most of the time I've compared the best caps and resistors, with standard types, in any equipment I've used, the changes (improvements) heard have been of the patently obvious, rather than nth degree variety!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Trust Naim to build a nice bit of kit then stick a resistor that buggers the sound up ... I suppose there's a £££ 'upgrade' to take it out again? :P

... I'll get ma jaikit ....
    The resistor effects a more natural balance of harmonics in the distortion profile - more like valve amps tend to have. As far as I can tell Naim has always provided this for no extra charge.
    Also, FWIW the modest output impedance of Naim amps means they might have a lot more in common with your STA100 than you realise.

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    So grateful to hear of anyone's experience when switching from a switched PSU to a linear PSU (or the other way round) on an audio item?
    I feel like I'm drifting off topic answering this, given where the rest of the thread has gone :-)

I've had or have some Maplin test bench LPSU, HDPlex LPSU, iFi iPower SMPS, Russ Andrews PowerPak 2 SMPS, Longdog Audio LPSU, cheap Maplin SMPS and SoTM mbps-d2s battery pack. I used them to power either a PPA v2 card, SoTM PCIe card or a Hi-Face EVO converter. I didn't have them all at the same time, but the Maplins and HDPlex provided a constant reference point. I had two of most of the units to handle 5v and 9v, but found the results (comparisons) were the same regardless of what I was powering. I mostly swapped them over in pairs, where feasible.

The cheap Maplin SMPS was awful, noisy and just yeeuch...
    The Maplin test bench were mediocre with poor transparency, poor liquidity and a slight treble roll off, though they were reasonably musical and had decent bass weight.
    The HDPlex was almost identical to the Maplin LPSU but a little more rolled off in the treble and slightly more musical. Pleasant but low-fi.
    The iFi were technically fine (no roll-off), reasonably transparent and didn't draw attention to themselves, but they weren't particularly musical. I just got bored listening to them.
    The Russ Andrews SMPS was beautifully sweet, open and transparent with excellent treble purity and very musical, but slightly lean in the bass. I only had a 9v one of those, so that was testing with the EVO.
    The SoTM battery pack was a good all-rounder with no deficiencies and reasonably musical, but not as transparent or enjoyable as the RA (testing with the EVO).
    The Longdog supplies are the best of the bunch, with a musical, liquid, well-balanced sound that doesn't draw attention to itself. I don't know if they're as open as the RA, but it's not something I can compare any more.

I should also add a couple of riders:
    1. All my testing used substantial mains filtering or regeneration. The SoTM battery supply's main strength is that it doesn't need any of that (for itself), so the other supplies had a helping hand.
    2. I've used both SMPS and LPSU ATX power at various points and on one occasion devoting an AG1500 just to the SMPS ATX unit and running the USB card and everything after that from a different regenerator produced excellent results. That was with the Maplin LPSU in place, so the quality and cleanliness of the AC feeding these supplies seems to matter a lot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast