+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Linear vs Switched mode PSU

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Starterman View Post

After quite a lot of experimenting I have found quite a good sounding solution for 5V digital supplies.
    May I ask what was your solution please?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    I've heard Longdog at some shows and they always impress. But perhaps it is 'cos they partner with excellent other stuff
    In the main it's due to Nick being obsessional about the power supply.
    The PSU has to be extremely quiet, and stiff enough for the job.
    The PSU has to be correct to make the rest work properly.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Rich.

Given the vast amounts of each component on the market (sources, amps, speakers, cables etc) and the limitless variations you could achieve in the combinations of those components, isn't it completely futile trying to find a combination that everyone likes?

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by stairpost View Post
    Given the vast amounts of each component on the market (sources, amps, speakers, cables etc) and the limitless variations you could achieve in the combinations of those components, isn't it completely futile trying to find a combination that everyone likes?
    It is impossible, and a big enough challenge to find something that *you* like.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    It is impossible, and a big enough challenge to find something that *you* like.
    I agree completely, I am very happy with my system at last, but half the people that listen to it are likely to find fault, or that it isn't their preferred sound.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by stairpost View Post
    I agree completely, I am very happy with my system at last, but half the people that listen to it are likely to find fault, or that it isn't their preferred sound.
    There is only one "measurement" that I apply to HiFi, and that is long-term listening enjoyment. Sitting down and critiquing a system for an afternoon is not that.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Dennis.

Unless you share my objectivist leaning views, in which case after a change, the verification of an improvement with further listening gives ongoing pleasure, and for a long time.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Unless you share my objectivist leaning views, in which case after a change, the verification of an improvement with further listening gives ongoing pleasure, and for a long time.
    Same thing.

Be it a measurements-based decision, a perceived technical improvement, or just a feeling, if you like it after a long time - grows on you even - then it's the right move.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    There is only one "measurement" that I apply to HiFi, and that is long-term listening enjoyment. Sitting down and critiquing a system for an afternoon is not that.
    I have to agree with you again, I don't recall ever sitting and listening to a system that belonged to a friend or aquintance and mentioning anything I might not have liked about it. It's their taste not mine, it is much more enjoyable to discuss what I do like about it.

Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    There are lots of very bad SMPS's available, built to a price point, with poor quality parts and poor quality control.
    That's my biggest issue with SMPS: the utterly crap ones you're referring to, which feature inside every electrical appliance in our homes, polluting the mains supply our hi-fi systems share with noise and interference, which in the process seriously degrades sound quality, not the top-notch variety the likes of Jez, or other EEs here, would build into their equipment designs.

Therefore, said noise being a fact, one of the biggest upgrades you can do for your system is to isolate it (as far as is possible) from the sonically deleterious effects of poor quality SMPS units in your home, via installing a dedicated ring main.

Everything will ultimately still share the same electrical supply, but you can drastically reduce how much those items interfere with your hi-fi system, by installing a dedicated ring main/spur. You can also bet your boots, that were it possible or practical to achieve, replacing every cheap SMPS unit in your home with a linear one, would be even better!

The question I have for Jez, or any other EE here, however, is given how 'noisy' poor quality SMPS units are, thus how much they pollute the mains, I'm presuming that high-quality ones are notably less noisy?

What I'm really getting at, however, is this:

Leaving aside the 'what's best?' thing, in terms of sound quality, between SMPS and linear, is it the case that due to the switching nature of SMPS units, they will (to varying degrees, depending on how good they are) chuck crap into the mains supply, or are the best ones completely free from that trait, in the way of a good linear PSU?

Essentially, for the same price or less, can a high-quality SMPS be built that's as 'clean' (in respect of the above) as an equivalent linear PSU?

What I *need* to know if I'm using an SMPS, in a hi-fi application, is that in doing so I'm not injecting any form of noise or interference [even the tiniest bit] into my mains supply, as for me (as a purist) that would be a big no-no.

*That* is the crucial question. If yes, then I'd always use a top-notch linear PSU, for all hi-fi applications. If not, however, then I'd have no real qualms about using SMPS, providing that SQ-wise it was up to the task, in comparison with the BEST available of the linear variety.

Over to you guys!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast