+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Linear vs Switched mode PSU

I'm Neil.

True Marco, but it takes a lot of experience to get expectation bias out of the equation when dealing with things subjectively. Am happy to trust my ears now, but certainly not when I first started out!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed, Neil, and I *totally accept* that expectation bias is a real phenomenon, thus a valid issue.......... SOMETIMES, and so you always have to consider it.

Just not ALL THE TIME, since 1996, when I installed my first dedicated spur (and earth) for my hi-fi system in Glasgow, and started experimenting quite seriously in many other areas relating to how hi-fi systems react (sonically) to receiving power from the mains supply. I've made mistakes, as is only natural, but I haven't spent 21 years continually being a victim of expectation bias.

Have you any idea how many times I've heard improvements and non-improvements during that time, in different rooms and systems, and how much practical experience I've gained experimenting with the mains during all those years, with all manner of equipment?

Trust me, this stuff I *know* about - and know about it well, as it's 'my thang'!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

With a lot of things in hi-fi, the change in the sound we hear is real, not imagined; it's just the reason the sound has changed is not the reason we think.

Like Marco I trust my ears. That's because my ears have told me something is wrong even when I had no cause to think that and had not (to my knowledge) changed anything. The degradation in the sound being very subtle and apparent only occasionally, to the extent that I could easily decide I was imagining it.

Then, on investigation, purely to prove to myself that it is my imagination, it turns out something actually is wrong. That has happened to me more than once.

So I'd rather see deeper consideration by engineers of changes that are 'impossible' with regard to textbook electronics. Dismissing it all as imagination does not move us forward. Like I say, the reason claimed for the change may be impossible, but there could be another reason for it we have not considered.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ...and yet, despite all that, if when you listen, your ears tell you differently, then the above (to us "non technical") matters not a jot!

Marco [in tune with his God-given senses, more than his man-made science books].
    Perhaps what we are evidencing in the audio world is similar to how Newtonian Physics was just fine to explain most stuff in the universe but started to break down when speeds approaching the speed of light was analysed requiring Albert to come along to explain things.

So do we have an Audio Albert on board to help?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

Lol, indeed... And didn't we once all vehemently believe that the earth was flat, until proved differently? Long live the 'heretics', I say!

Marco [forever a free-thinker, and a believer that 'the laws of physics' doesn't contain all the answers to hi-fi].
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jez.

...and yet, despite all that, if when you listen, your ears tell you differently, then the above (to us "non technical") matters not a jot!

Marco [in tune with his God-given senses, more than his man-made science books].
    Indeed expectation bias, placebo effect etc can be so strong that I'm sure in their own minds many do hear an improvement.

There was some psuedo scientific nonsense going around in Victorian times, I wish I could remember a suitable keyword to even google it, but the jist was that a cynical scientist was amongst the audience at a demonstration of this "thing", which consisted of a small object a few inches big which people were told in a bold and triumphant speech they would see emanating a feint light, only just visible, when in total darkness. Oil lamps etc suitably extinguished, most of those present claimed to see it after a few moments of becoming accustomed to the darkness. As lamps were lit again gasps went round the room when it became obvious there was nothing there! The scientist had managed to sneak the "thing" into his pocket during the commotion of extinguishing all the lamps etc and without being seen....

Never underestimate the power of suggestion and expectation bias
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

Lol, indeed... And didn't we once all vehemently believe that the earth was flat, until proved differently? ].
    No, that's actually a myth.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    With a lot of things in hi-fi, the change in the sound we hear is real, not imagined; it's just the reason the sound has changed is not the reason we think.
    Yup, but I'd add the word 'perhaps' after 'is', as sometimes it might be!

So I'd rather see deeper consideration by engineers of changes that are 'impossible' with regard to textbook electronics. Dismissing it all as imagination does not move us forward. Like I say, the reason claimed for the change may be impossible, but there could be another reason for it we have not considered.
    Hear, hear! The notion that we already know all that there is to know on the subject of how, we as humans, interpret sound produced by hi-fi systems, via our ears and brain, and all fully explained by the contents of 'Johnny's Book of Physics', is at best 'optimistic', and at worst, just a tad blinkered...

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No, that's actually a myth.
    Don't think so!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Never underestimate the power of suggestion and expectation bias
    Aye, especially when you're reading the contents of a science book! It's amazing what you can fool yourself into believing is an 'indisputable fact'

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast