+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Linear vs Switched mode PSU

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes I remember you mentioning your mate. That's a nightmare. Glad he got through the original op ok and hope it allows him to beat the big 'C'. Sorry to hear of his other problems and hope he recovers fully soon!

Marco.
    Seconded!

R

I'm Christopher.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    True Marco, but it takes a lot of experience to get expectation bias out of the equation when dealing with things subjectively. Am happy to trust my ears now, but certainly not when I first started out!
    That is the gathering of subjective expertise. The more kit you listen to, the more times you listen, the more you experiment with different combinations and tweaks...the more expert you become.

Listening to music...is the one true purpose of hifi. Everything else exists only to serve that purpose. If your belief in electrical theory tells you that two things must sound the same, but your ears tell you they are obviously different, then it is your theory that must be scrutinised, not your ears.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by PalsHuffMor View Post
    That is the gathering of subjective expertise. The more kit you listen to, the more times you listen, the more you experiment with different combinations and tweaks...the more expert you become.

Listening to music...is the one true purpose of hifi. Everything else exists only to serve that purpose. If your belief in electrical theory tells you that two things must sound the same, but your ears tell you they are obviously different, then it is your theory that must be scrutinised, not your ears.
    ..if it's a blind A/B test then yes, of course, you're right.

R
    My Gear:
    Source component/s:
    Cambridge CXC Cd player; Inspire Apollo deck + Roksan Nima arm + Ortofon 2M Black; Denon TU-580RD tuner; Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Rpi with Volumio. RME DAC.

Amplification: WD KEL84+ valve amp; Rega Brio, Quad 306 (DADA modded, - in reserve)). Trichord Dino2 & Dino+ PS;

Wiim mini, Wiim Pro, Wiim ProPlus streamers

Loudspeakers:
    Living Voice Auditorium IBX-R2.
    Q Acoustics 2010 in the 'study'.

Cables/stands: Chords; Van Dammes 4mm

Any other hi-fi bits:
    Apple MacMini Pro; Senn HD598, 467,
    Linear PSs for Rpi and DAC. Pure mains conditioning.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by PalsHuffMor View Post

I like that......and agree. Good post!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonky View Post
    ..if it's a blind A/B test then yes, of course, you're right.

R
    What's "a blind A/B test" got to do with the ability to discern differences? And don't suggest 'expectation bias'. I trust my ears and ability to judge how things sound. I suspect many others of us do too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Starterman View Post
    What does Naim sound like?
    Actually I have never owned anything made by Naim (except a rather naff CD of some bloke with an acoustic guitar), however I have experimented witih their circuits at length and there are some interesting ideas lurking in there. IME experience different implementations of the same basic circuit can sound very different indeed.

On the Radford topic. Yes I have heard the STA25 at length. A fine amp!
    I have also owned a Beard P100. Pile of junk - sounds more soild state than most ss amps!
    My main amp is a KT88 PP amp.

It's not wise to generalise (but it is fun).
    I quite like some Naim source component. But (like NVA) I haven't heard a Naim amp I could be in the same room as. But I guess I haven't heard them all so who knows? I'm also a fan of KT88/90/120 push pull amps, for many real world speakers a decent KT88-family amp is where it's at.

I'm Dave.

Applying Jez's logic to himself...
    it is not possible to overcome expectation bias (even magnificent-mains-man-Marco cannot do this ) and Jez's expectation bias convinces him that a circuit powered by an SMPS or by a linear PS must sound the same - therefore that's what he hears.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I quite like some Naim source component. But (like NVA) I haven't heard a Naim amp I could be in the same room as. But I guess I haven't heard them all so who knows? I'm also a fan of KT88/90/120 push pull amps, for many real world speakers a decent KT88-family amp is where it's at.
    Funny old game eh?
    I've heard Naim amps sound very good indeed, but I've never heard a decent Naim CDP or pair of speakers.

I'm Christopher.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    What's "a blind A/B test" got to do with the ability to discern differences? And don't suggest 'expectation bias'. I trust my ears and ability to judge how things sound. I suspect many others of us do too.
    Agree.

IME blind testing is a waste of time; a completely artificial stress created on the brain.

I'm Geoff.

Expectation bias is an emotion to which I am not susceptible.

Like others, my expectations are neutral, so I don't get excited about anticipated results. Logical analyisis and comparison of what can be heard and repeated is all that matters

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast