+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any opinions on stainless steel platter mat?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Youve missed the point completely. All matter resonates no matter if it's a steel platter mat or a window, and this is irrespective of mass. I think you need to do some reading about resonance transference between surfaces and materials.
    Bang on.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Hugo.

Yeah I said that resonances were not a concern. I didn't say that they don't exist, but rather that I'm really not concerned about them affecting my sound quality, so I'm not interested in drilling holes like the oyaide has.

No sense arguing against something I never said.

I'm not interested in pursuing any argument. I only came here to post a photo.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200reasons View Post
    I'm not an engineer, but I'm guessing that it's because steel has a specific gravity 3 times greater than glass. Window glass is large and relatively thin. A large thin bit of wood resonates, but a small block of wood doesn't seem to.

The glass also has a lot of force applied to it- in a slight breeze, the large building moves around it and wind blowing against its large surface. My platter conversely is only subject to the energy of 1.8g from my stylus. I would expect that the record itself would absorb most of that energy and then the rubber mat would absorb most of the remaining energy.

Really, comparing a window pane and a thick steel turntable platter makes no sense. Might as well be asking why a coffee cup resonates for all they have in common
    Yeah I said that resonances were not a concern. I didn't say that they don't exist, but rather that I'm really not concerned about them affecting my sound quality, so I'm not interested in drilling holes like the oyaide has.

No sense arguing against something I never said. I'm not interested in pursuing an argument. I only came here to post a photo.
    Its discussion. Ok, your not bothered about resonance, but the whole hifi industry is! Drilling holes in a top plate is a method of dispersing and breaking up resonance. A solid sheet of steel like your mat will amplify it. This will go into your cartridge and produce sub optimal play back. I'm only trying to help, not pick a fight.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Deleted.

The holes in the Oyaide won't be doing anything much beyond looking funky, they certainly won't be effecting the resonate modes it possesses except in the most minimal sense. Mass does make a difference because it alters the amplitude of the input required to excite it. Note, I'm not espousing the use of high mass, but it's not true to say it doesn't matter either.
    Account Deleted

I'm Russell.

May I ask why Stainless Steel? Why not copper or brass? No doubt the Stainless is durable, and the only reason I ask is because I've seen some high end 'tables with copper plated platters, etc. They claimed that copper was softer, and absorbed more resonance. But of course that's what they claimed, I really don't know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

holes reduce weight and that will be why they are there
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Excuse the mess and the dusty turntable. Piano black is no fun sometimes.

Pretty happy with the platter. I've still got to give the platter a good polish. It weighs 2.7kg and has no trouble getting it spinning. I've left the brake at the current setting and it only slows it down slightly.

It lacks the vancy holes of the oyaide, but Oyaide claims that those are to reduce resonance... which I really don't believe is a concern with 2.7kg of solid steel.

That looks very neat, to my eyes anyway. The Oyaide has a taper so that the LP, supposedly, sits flatter to account for any warps and is designed to be used with the Oyaide record weight. I have used the Oyaide mat on an SL12// and to be honest I preferred the Achromat I am currently using.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    May I ask why Stainless Steel? Why not copper or brass?
    I got this done because a friend was getting some stuff laser cut and asked if I wanted to add to the order. The options were stainless steel, mild steel, aluminium, brushed aluminium.

Mild steel isn't ideal. My goal was mass, so steel was a better than aluminium. Brass would have been my first choice if it was available, because it looks so damn cool

Now that I've done a test cut, I might design one with oyaide style holes... purely because it looks kinda cool.It should only take 20 mins in a CAD program, since Oyaide have already done all the hard work designing it

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    The Oyaide has a taper so that the LP, supposedly, sits flatter to account for any warps

I saw that. Not a feature that I have to my platter, which is nothing more than a disc of (poorly polished) steel. At $20 it's just a fun experiment. I definitely can't pretend that I've created some audiophile product. Just a shiny heavy disc
    Last edited by 1200reasons; 17-08-2017 at 23:34.

I'm Geoff.

Now that I've done a test cut, I might design one sith oyaide style holes... purely because it looks kinda cool.
    Is that a good idea? Holes hold pockets of air. Air resonates. At what frequency will depend on the hole shape, dimensions and volume. Just a thought.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Hugo.

Ok, now I don't know what anything is anymore. Holes good, holes bad

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast