+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any opinions on stainless steel platter mat?

I'm Hugo.

Default Any opinions on stainless steel platter mat?

I'm sending off an order to the laser cutter soon so I'm thinking of cutting up a 285mm (or so) disc in stainless steel. probably 5mm thick. This should add a few kg of rotating mass- and be fun.

How's that sound? Is 285mm a reasonable size for the mat? Unfortunately the next thickness available above 5mm is 10mm which is probably a bit excessive

does anyone know the sl-1200 spindle diameter? I've misplaced my calipers...

edit: the Timestep EVO uses a steel MJ-12 mat, which apparently measures 295mm according to the oyaide website. Won't that go over the outer ridge of the platter?
    Last edited by 1200reasons; 19-07-2017 at 05:55.

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200reasons View Post
    I'm sending off an order to the laser cutter soon so I'm thinking of cutting up a 285mm (or so) disc in stainless steel. probably 5mm thick. This should add a few kg of rotating mass- and be fun.

How's that sound? Is 285mm a reasonable size for the mat? Unfortunately the next thickness available above 5mm is 10mm which is probably a bit excessive

does anyone know the sl-1200 spindle diameter? I've misplaced my calipers...

edit: the Timestep EVO uses a steel MJ-12 mat, which apparently measures 295mm according to the oyaide website. Won't that go over the outer ridge of the platter?
    285 is needed to fit inside sl1200 lip

However a 5 mm mat of 295 is unlikely to bend with the weight of an LP and some say the ringing is in the platter rim so somebody may have a theory an oversize steel platter mat may work to reduce it - sounds odd to me though. Are you sure there is no supporting mat under the 295 platter (which would be closer to lp diameter) ?
    Last edited by Cycleallday; 20-07-2017 at 07:36.

I'm Neil.

The Oyaide mat sits inside the lip in the Technics platter, old version, with top section that goes out to the edge of the Technics platter. It sounds better with a rubber undermat the BR One under it. I don't think the BR One is available anymore.
    Regards Neil

I'm Hugo.

I might go for 295 and put a standard mat (some sticky rubber dots) under it.

Any idea what the SL-1200 spindle diameter is?

Edit: found my calipers. 7.13mm by my measurement. I guess I'll go for 7.2 and keep a circular file nearby
    Last edited by 1200reasons; 22-07-2017 at 05:28.

I'm phil.

Are you getting the inner section where the label sits routed out by a few mill. and also can i ask how much this will cost, thanks
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Hugo.

AUD$25. About 20 USD

A more accurate term would be "platter plate" rather than mat. The plan is to mate it to the platter somehow (I have a large thin sheet of silicone that would do the job very nicely) and then put a regular mat on top of it. No need to route the label.

Just a fun, cheap and simple way to add a few kg of moving mass to the platter. I wonder if this mass would upset the motor. perhaps I should switch to a thinner plate or turn down the electronic brake?
    Last edited by 1200reasons; 26-07-2017 at 08:54. Reason: updated price

I'm Hugo.

Excuse the mess and the dusty turntable. Piano black is no fun sometimes.

Pretty happy with the platter. I've still got to give the platter a good polish. It weighs 2.7kg and has no trouble getting it spinning. I've left the brake at the current setting and it only slows it down slightly.

It lacks the vancy holes of the oyaide, but Oyaide claims that those are to reduce resonance... which I really don't believe is a concern with 2.7kg of solid steel.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200reasons
    which I really don't believe is a concern with 2.7kg of solid steel.
    how do you explain a Window resonating in a house with many tonnes of bricks surrounding it?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Hugo.

I'm not an engineer, but I'm guessing that it's because steel has a specific gravity 3 times greater than glass. Window glass is large and relatively thin. A large thin bit of wood resonates, but a small block of wood doesn't seem to.

The glass also has a lot of force applied to it- in a slight breeze, the large building moves around it and wind blowing against its large surface. My platter conversely is only subject to the energy of 1.8g from my stylus. I would expect that the record itself would absorb most of that energy and then the rubber mat would absorb most of the remaining energy.

Really, comparing a window pane and a thick steel turntable platter makes no sense. Might as well be asking why a coffee cup resonates for all they have in common

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200reasons View Post
    I'm not an engineer, but I'm guessing that it's because steel has a specific gravity 3 times greater than glass. Window glass is large and relatively thin. A large thin bit of wood resonates, but a small block of wood doesn't seem to.

The glass also has a lot of force applied to it- in a slight breeze, the large building moves around it and wind blowing against its large surface. My platter conversely is only subject to the energy of 1.8g from my stylus. I would expect that the record itself would absorb most of that energy and then the rubber mat would absorb most of the remaining energy.

Really, comparing a window pane and a thick steel turntable platter makes no sense. Might as well be asking why a coffee cup resonates for all they have in common
    Youve missed the point completely. All matter resonates no matter if it's a steel platter mat or a window, and this is irrespective of mass. I think you need to do some reading about resonance transference between surfaces and materials.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast