+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advise on Pre amp please

I'm Colin.

Default Advise on Pre amp please

I'm in search of a Pre amp upgrade and looking at this
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162590159819
    Currently use Cyrus Pre 7 amp with musical fidelity 3.2 power amp with js mods. I'm buying a ms 3.2 CD player soon
    Anyone have experience of this headphone amp used as a Pre amp? I realise the inputs are limited, ... seems like a good investment for my system....?
    Thanks
    Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Thread moved to Blank Canvas area, which is best suited and duplicate removed.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jon.

Default Motivation for change and a possible alternative

What does the MF add over the Cyrus you already have, apart from being 'newer', Colin? Is it the provision of a headphone socket, the digital (USB) input or both? If your primary requirement is for a good quality preamp with headphone sockets, and you're not intent on having an MF only system, then you might want to consider this unit from Myriad, which Peter Tyson (an established and reputable dealer from whom I have purchased in the past): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Myryad-Z40-Headphone-Amplifier-Black-/272726654969?hash=item3f7fc67ff9:gaEAAOSw9~5ZSOBp. Like the MF it's a Class A design, but has the advantage of being new (and hence comes with a warranty, comes with a n adjustable gain setting as well a volume control and, given that they are currently retailing elsewhere for £400.00, at £130.00 (or less - it is a 'make offer' listing) it is a potential 'steal'. More details and specifications here http://www.myryad.co.uk/themes/myrya.../z40manual.pdf

Jon
    Last edited by prsjnb; 19-07-2017 at 15:18. Reason: Smiley in URL!

I'm Colin.

Thanks Jon- I'll have a look- I'm mainly interested in an upgrade in quality over the Cyrus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Phil.

wonder if it would be better sonically , i suppose the only way to find out is to buy it and compare . plenty of passive preamps at that pricepoint to think about . what about going up in the cyrus range or even this which is a superb pre amp and similar size to cyrus

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ight=bel+canto
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Jon.

Default Choices, choices...

In its day, I've no doubt that the Cyrus 7 was a competent performer, but it must be > 15 years since it was last produced and some deterioration in performance is to be expected. One option, therefore, is to invest in its refurbishment, which should include re-capping throughout. The downside of going down this route is that you will have to find someone suitably qualified to do the work (not difficult given your proximity to JS Audio) and the cost (primarily due to the cost of labour) might prove prohibitive.

As regards the Myriad, distance selling regulations will apply, allowing you the opportunity, effectively, to audition in situ and therefore decide if it represents a worthwhile upgrade over the Cyrus. If you decide not to keep it, however, you will have to bear the cost of its return.

A third option, as mentioned previously, is to investigate the use of a passive preamplifier, which should present few, if any, problems if you are feeding it with exclusively line-level sources. I can help here in that I have Tisbury Audio passive preamplifier (latest version, as far as I am aware), which you are more than welcome to try out in your system. Despite its modest cost, the Tisbury is a carefully designed, constructed and sonically capable (i.e. neutral) performer with a useful degree of flexibility with regard to inputs/outputs and levels of attenuation. More here: http://www.tisburyaudio.co.uk/mini-passive-preamplifier

Were I to be in your situation and seeking 'bangs for (limited) bucks', I would be sorely tempted to go for options 2 and 3, returning the Myriad if the Tisbury is a better match for your system/musical tastes.

Whilst your initial plan might have been to sell the Cyrus to recoup some, if not all, of the cost of its replacement, I would consider setting it aside as a future DIY project, in which case you might find these sites good starting points:

Cyrusunofficial 2017 Portal - https://www.rdhworld.co.uk/phpBB3/app.php/portal

DIY Audio - http://www.diyaudio.com/

Jon

I'm Jez.

A passive will probably do the trick.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by prsjnb View Post
    In its day, I've no doubt that the Cyrus 7 was a competent performer, but it must be > 15 years since it was last produced and some deterioration in performance is to be expected. One option, therefore, is to invest in its refurbishment, which should include re-capping throughout.
    Modern capacitors - and I'm counting 15 year old capacitors as modern - such as encapsulated film types shouldn't exhibit any deterioration and shouldn't need replacing. Sure, I've seen capacitors in old Vox guitar amps which have been cooked by sitting too close to a valve and they've totally perished, but modern caps in something like a solid-state preamp shouldn't deteriorate. Personally, I wouldn't even worry about the electrolytic caps either.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Modern capacitors - and I'm counting 15 year old capacitors as modern - such as encapsulated film types shouldn't exhibit any deterioration and shouldn't need replacing. Sure, I've seen capacitors in old Vox guitar amps which have been cooked by sitting too close to a valve and they've totally perished, but modern caps in something like a solid-state preamp shouldn't deteriorate. Personally, I wouldn't even worry about the electrolytic caps either.

.... unless it's been left on 24/7 in which case they are probably toast....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread