+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quad ESL 57 owner from London

I'm Jonathan.

Forgive me, perhaps I should have made this clear at the outset - I am looking for ways to avoid sending the panel(s) back to the guy the other side of the pond from whom I bought these newly refurbished bass panels - saving time and expense of carriage - and the strong probability (based on recent experience) that his replacement for his replacement will have the same problem as before. ....Not sure in this case if I believe in 'third time lucky'. .... If my Lyngdorf has damaged the offending panel because of AC voltage (or any other kind of mismatch you may imagine), then why hasn't it also damaged the other three? Or any other bass panels from other sources I have tried with the same amp?
    Cheers
    Jonathan

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborn View Post
    There is no info in the Lyngdorf owner's manual about maximum AC signal voltage. Forgive me, are we talking about audio signal power output here? ... As in - watts per channel - if so, it is max 200 p.c into 8 ohms. There is one contributor to this board who has claimed that the TDAi 2200 and the ESL 57 is a match made in heaven (or words to that effect)
    Hmm, 200W into 8 Ohms implies an rms voltage of 40V. Since that is for the maximum output, I assume you have the volume level set somewhat lower than maximum, so you should be alright, but be aware that 40Vrms is 56v peak and is well in excess of the 33V limit.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborn View Post
    Forgive me, perhaps I should have made this clear at the outset - I am looking for ways to avoid sending the panel(s) back to the guy the other side of the pond from whom I bought these newly refurbished bass panels - saving time and expense of carriage - and the strong probability (based on recent experience) that his replacement for his replacement will have the same problem as before. ....Not sure in this case if I believe in 'third time lucky'. .... If my Lyngdorf has damaged the offending panel because of AC voltage (or any other kind of mismatch you may imagine), then why hasn't it also damaged the other three? Or any other bass panels from other sources I have tried with the same amp?
    Cheers
    Jonathan
    Clearly that bass panel is faulty, but if you don't want to send it to One Thing for examination, or find Sheldon Stokes' web page unhelpful, then there is not a lot I can suggest.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Hi Jonathan. Welcome to AOS.

ESL's are popular here, so you'll find plenty of members who'll chat about them.

Feel free to contribute to any thread that interests you.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.

(by the way, do you want to be called Geoff or Jonathan? You have two names shown, a little confusing )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jonathan.

Many thanks Geoff - and apologies for the names confusion - definitely Jonathan. Geoff Osborn was my father's name and I often use it as an alias. I need to change something in my profile for AOS.
    And my apologies to Barry too - was getting a little frayed round the edges last night - and my last few posts reflected that. I think it's mainly a case of frustration having spent 1000 US dollars for a newly refurbished set of bass panels - which are not fit for purpose - and now not trusting the guy to be able to sort the problem out. I have had some dodgy experiences with ESL panel restoration here in the UK too. Unfortuntely I am cursed with the hearing of a teenager (or very nearly) - probably also cursed with a touch of OCD!
    I've only tried one of the restorers in the US and Canada - and there are quite a few others. If anyone has experience of the restoration work of any of them, I would be very keen to hear about it.
    Cheers
    Jonathan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12