+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice with a phono stage

I'm Jose.

Default Advice with a phono stage

Hi,
    I recently bought a Sonneteer Alabaster with no phono input. I would like to buy a second hand phono stage (400 euros/pounds aprox.), but don't know what to do and I would appreciate any help. It can be MM only.

Here are my options:

The (too) obvious one: a Sonneteer Sedley.
    I think that I would not err with any of these: Whest Two, Graham Slee, Edwards Audio (two MC3 have been sold here or in PFM recently).
    Those for which I feel the itch (because there is a craftsman behind them): Firebottle, Arkless, Mark Travis, ¿any other?

¿Anyone has tried any of these with a Sonneteer and want to share?

Thanks.

I'm Dave.

If you like what the Alabaster does, then their Sedley would be a good bet. It's an excellent phono stage and well priced.

Alternatively, you could return the Alabaster to Sonneteer for them to retro-fit an MM phono stage, as the Alabaster now comes as standard with the internal phono stage.

Bigman80 Guest

The Firebottle OTP-MK2 will be available very soon, it's an outstanding phonostage. It's under your budget too.

If you get up to the Midlands at all, you are welcome to a demo.

Oliver.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm phil.

Angle audio studio pro, comes either mc or mm with the benafit of a virtual battery with 12 hours play time, these i think punch well above weight.
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

RothwellAudio Guest

Get a Rothwell Simplex.
    I've paid good money for the privilege of saying that - so I might as well say it

I'm Kevin.

Whatever you get, you need to try it in your system first, to see if you are happy with it.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Jose.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
    (Fortunately) I live in Spain, but unfortunately cannot try everything I want as there not that much shops in town. ¡Neither attend any demo (despite Oliver's kind invitation)!

Sending the Alabaster to Sonneteer and back to Spain needs already an extrabudget, so it is definitely easier to get a Sedley.

Rothwell is also a bet with no risks (and affordable too): to be seriously considered.

I have read good reviews on the Angle Audio's product. Could be.

Anyway, I am not in a hurry, so can wait to read what people say about the OTP MK2.

Well, still open to suggestions.
    Thank you again.

Bigman80 Guest

Ah, no worries. There will be a write-up from independent members once tested.

I'm Peter.

Hi Jose ... I'd second the suggestion of the Rothwell ... exceptionally good for the money ime.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Ah, no worries. There will be a write-up from independent members once tested.

Sure it will be good.

The Rothwell will be too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast