+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice with a phono stage

I'm Jose.

Default Advice with a phono stage

Hi,
    I recently bought a Sonneteer Alabaster with no phono input. I would like to buy a second hand phono stage (400 euros/pounds aprox.), but don't know what to do and I would appreciate any help. It can be MM only.

Here are my options:

The (too) obvious one: a Sonneteer Sedley.
    I think that I would not err with any of these: Whest Two, Graham Slee, Edwards Audio (two MC3 have been sold here or in PFM recently).
    Those for which I feel the itch (because there is a craftsman behind them): Firebottle, Arkless, Mark Travis, ¿any other?

¿Anyone has tried any of these with a Sonneteer and want to share?

Thanks.

I'm Dave.

If you like what the Alabaster does, then their Sedley would be a good bet. It's an excellent phono stage and well priced.

Alternatively, you could return the Alabaster to Sonneteer for them to retro-fit an MM phono stage, as the Alabaster now comes as standard with the internal phono stage.

I'm Oliver.

The Firebottle OTP-MK2 will be available very soon, it's an outstanding phonostage. It's under your budget too.

If you get up to the Midlands at all, you are welcome to a demo.

Oliver.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Alphason HR100 MCS > Toshiba SR 370 Turntable > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Firebottle OTP MK2 Phono Stage > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm phil.

Angle audio studio pro, comes either mc or mm with the benafit of a virtual battery with 12 hours play time, these i think punch well above weight.
    Technics 1200, Ian Mac bearing, rb300 AO arm funk mat modded plinth external psu, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Andrew.

Get a Rothwell Simplex.
    I've paid good money for the privilege of saying that - so I might as well say it

I'm GettingFunky.

Whatever you get, you need to try it in your system first, to see if you are happy with it.
    Kevin

Funkified Technics SL1200 Mk2 (Funk FX-1200+, Hana SL/AT33PTG/II/, Funk Firm "Strata" platter, "Spin" bearing and BO!NG Isolation feet, MCRU/LDA PSU). Pioneer PD-S703. Caiman II. Firebottle KIN. Firebottle Monoblocks, Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear Headphone amp. Electric Beach FH3 with Taket BatPure super tweeters. Sennheiser HD540 Reference II & HD650. DIY Klotz MC5000/MS Audio interconnects. Talk cable 3 speaker cable. Power Inspired AG1500

I'm Jose.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
    (Fortunately) I live in Spain, but unfortunately cannot try everything I want as there not that much shops in town. ¡Neither attend any demo (despite Oliver's kind invitation)!

Sending the Alabaster to Sonneteer and back to Spain needs already an extrabudget, so it is definitely easier to get a Sedley.

Rothwell is also a bet with no risks (and affordable too): to be seriously considered.

I have read good reviews on the Angle Audio's product. Could be.

Anyway, I am not in a hurry, so can wait to read what people say about the OTP MK2.

Well, still open to suggestions.
    Thank you again.

I'm Oliver.

Ah, no worries. There will be a write-up from independent members once tested.

Alphason HR100 MCS > Toshiba SR 370 Turntable > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Firebottle OTP MK2 Phono Stage > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm Peter.

Hi Jose ... I'd second the suggestion of the Rothwell ... exceptionally good for the money ime.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Ah, no worries. There will be a write-up from independent members once tested.

Sure it will be good.

The Rothwell will be too.
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.7- TONBRUX BATTERY SUPPLY & CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no1 - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS. - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP. -AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER22, SPOTIFY PREMIUM- KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no2 POWERED BY ANKER BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - TANDBERG TCD310 CASS - CARTS.. ACD xlm mk1 integra, AT95 Shibata, SHURE M55E original, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PUREAV.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast