+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Croft micro 25 Line Preamp

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Little Bear MC2 passive pre arrived today. Just plugged It Into the Quad 306 and played a quick selection of music from cold. On quick listen It seems at least as good as my Onix oa21. Less detail that the Cambridge Audio 651A that I used to own but I sold It In favour of the Onix because the highs seemed a bit unnatural.
    Good. I don't see how anybody could be disappointed with one of these for the money.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm matt.

The 306 Is a nice little amp for the money too.

I'm Geoff.

The 306 Is a nice little amp for the money too.
    Just using a borrowed Promitheus TVC pre-amp with mine, it's taken it to a whole new level. This little pre-amp sounds amazingly good with the Quad and suits it a treat. I can't say the sound is inferior to my Class A or valve power amps. It is different though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Matt I had a Croft integrated amp, the latest version, in for testing and I was very disappointed with it... very flat sounding to me... that was compared to my AN amps so perhaps it was an unfair comparison, price wise, to be honest

I did own a Croft Vitale pre many years ago which I used with Quad II's and I was very impressed with that amp..

Don't know if that helps at all
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Just using a borrowed Promitheus TVC pre-amp with mine, it's taken it to a whole new level. This little pre-amp sounds amazingly good with the Quad and suits it a treat. I can't say the sound is inferior to my Class A or valve power amps. It is different though.
    I did consider a TVC but read a few bad opinions that put me off. Someone said they're a bit soft sounding IIRC.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Matt I had a Croft integrated amp, the latest version, in for testing and I was very disappointed with it... very flat sounding to me... that was compared to my AN amps so perhaps it was an unfair comparison, price wise, to be honest

I did own a Croft Vitale pre many years ago which I used with Quad II's and I was very impressed with that amp..

Don't know if that helps at all
    From what I understand the Croft preamp Is the star of the show, so It doesn't completely surprise me. Although I never Imagined Croft to sound flat.

I had a dem of a valve amp on my speakers and that sounded flat, but It was only because the amp struggled to drive them - Could that have been the problem?

I'm Geoff.

I did consider a TVC but read a few bad opinions that put me off. Someone said they're a bit soft sounding IIRC.
    Whoever said that is mistaken. I have two TVC's pre-amps here and both are incredibly lucid and tight, with excellent bass definition.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Whoever said that is mistaken. I have two TVC's pre-amps here and both are incredibly lucid and tight, with excellent bass definition.
    Have you tried both TVCs on the 306?

What version of the Promitheus TVC are you trying?

I'm Geoff.

Have you tried both TVCs on the 306?

What version of the Promitheus TVC are you trying?
    Yes. I have. The Promitheus suits the Quad best. It's the basic version TVC I believe.

The other TVC is a MingDa MC-9 and sounds incredible driving my Monarchy Audio power amps (try finding one for sale, there ain't none).

I'm Geoff.

Here's a shot of both.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast