+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Croft micro 25 Line Preamp

I'm Dave.

The Micro Basic was dropped from the Croft line around 2 years ago because there wasn't sufficient profit to make it viable. It was good though.

The Micro 25 line level pre is now 605 and the Micro 25 with internal MM phono stage is 770. Unbeatable at anywhere near the price IMO.

I do, from time to time, have lightly used demo units for sale.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Oh! - I've heard so many good things said about Croft preamps. I think your the first person I've heard say bad things about them. Or does this just apply to the Micro Basic? Also, what does It add to the sound?
    I can only speak for the Micro Basic as never had the more expensive models. I had it for two or three years so don't' get me wrong it isn't bad and I enjoyed it a lot. I had a brief trial with the 7 series power amp as well and that combination was exceptional for (I think) about a grand new.

My criticism was that it glossed over the differences in production. It had clarity, perhaps because it is a simple but cleverly thought out circuit, but it was coloured. Even modern, polished, slightly sterile digital studio recordings sounded like they were made in the late sixties on all-valve gear. Obviously there will be a lot of people who would not have a problem with that, I eventually decided that I did.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Sony X505ES CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / NVA A30 Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    if you want some semblance of neutrality to the source you'll need to look elsewhere.
    That's what I found.

At the time I tried a Micro Basic, I was using an ancient but very good Rappaport solid state pre-amp and it blew the Croft away.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm matt.

Think I'll give It a miss then.

It was going to be used In front of a Quad 306 that I just bought. Found a dirt cheap passive preamp on ebay that will do for now - Little Bear MC2

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Think I'll give It a miss then.

It was going to be used In front of a Quad 306 that I just bought. Found a dirt cheap passive preamp on ebay that will do for now - Little Bear MC2
    Why not try the Schiit Saga Pre? https://schiit.eu.com/preamps/Saga
    It is a line Pre with remote control, a passive stage and an active valve buffer stage all built around a stepped passive stage. Good value for money purchased from the UK on line. I have the Freya myself which is a similar product but caters for balanced XLR.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    Why not try the Schiit Saga Pre? https://schiit.eu.com/preamps/Saga
    It is a line Pre with remote control, a passive stage and an active valve buffer stage all built around a stepped passive stage. Good value for money purchased from the UK on line. I have the Freya myself which is a similar product but caters for balanced XLR.
    Thanks, I'll have look at that.

I'm Oliver.

Geoff rates the Little bear very highly for it diminutive price
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Jolida JD9 MKII > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Geoff rates the Little bear very highly for it diminutive price
    This one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Little-Bea...item5d70d10623
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm matt.

How do they do they do It for the money? Posted all the way from China too.

I'm matt.

Bought a service/upgrade kit from Dada for the 306. Will be interesting to see how this compares to my Onix oa21 integrated amp.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast