+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Croft micro 25 Line Preamp

I'm matt.

Default Croft micro 25 Line Preamp

I've decided I want to try a Croft preamp because of all the great things I've heard about them.

I was looking at the cheaper £550 Croft Micro 25 line stage but noticed an older version on ebay (LINK). The thing that worried me Is the fact that the box looks almost empty compared to later versions of the same amp.

Has anyone heard this preamp?

I'm Geoff.

An uncluttered box always appeals to me. Less is often more where amps are concerned. If it does the job, it's fine. Cheaper to fix too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

No phono stage in it, Thats why its empty. Its only a line pre amp. You may already know that though lol

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    No phono stage in it, Thats why its empty. Its only a line pre amp. You may already know that though lol
    I did know they do two versions of the same amp but the switch on the front and the connections on the back both say "Phono". I guess It means that of the three valves that you normally see, two are for the phono stage, and the cases are all the same to allow for upgrades.

I'm matt.

Hmmm - No postage and bad feedback.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    I did know they do two versions of the same amp but the switch on the front and the connections on the back both say "Phono". I guess It means that of the three valves that you normally see, two are for the phono stage, and the cases are all the same to allow for upgrades.
    I'd have thought so. The bad feedback is a concern.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Phil.

Matt, looks to me that this is miss-advertised, it's described as a micro 25, when it's a micro basic, a cheaper alternative. That said, people on here say the basic is pretty good, it's just not a full blown pucker Micro 25 if that's what you're looking for.
    CCA, Sony TA FB940R, Spendor S3/5r2.
    Quad 306, Tisbury, Rega Apollo CD.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilofCas View Post
    Matt, looks to me that this is miss-advertised, it's described as a micro 25, when it's a micro basic, a cheaper alternative. That said, people on here say the basic is pretty good, it's just not a full blown pucker Micro 25 if that's what you're looking for.
    Agree it is a micro-basic. The Micro basic is the one I had for a couple of years, albeit with the phono stage. It is very good for the money but if you want some semblance of neutrality to the source you'll need to look elsewhere.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilofCas View Post
    I thought It was weird that the volume knobs were just basic black plastic.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Agree it is a micro-basic. The Micro basic is the one I had for a couple of years, albeit with the phono stage. It is very good for the money but if you want some semblance of neutrality to the source you'll need to look elsewhere.
    Oh! - I've heard so many good things said about Croft preamps. I think your the first person I've heard say bad things about them. Or does this just apply to the Micro Basic? Also, what does It add to the sound?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast