+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rega tonearm

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by vinyljunky View Post
    He's looking at an ortofon quintet blue mc apparently these were a replacement for the rondo range of carts not a lot of info or reviews online anyone on here got one and a heads up on there sound signature I know this is system dependant but a general idea would be helpful
    Ive got the Quintet Blue and its great value for money (cost me £228 a year ago and I see it priced at £268 today). Its got a typical Ortofon sound which I like - detailed and smooth. To be honest I don't notice a huge difference between it and the 2M Black I have on another TT.

In respect of being bland; I dont like cartridges like the ATOC9 which I also own and find to be too toppy and bassy - bit like modern speakers and headphones. My preference is very neutral if possible.

I learnt long ago to ignore reviews and others comments and listen before buying. In fact the Blue was demod alongside other Ortofon carts at a show when it was very quiet so I heard it against the higher range also - not as good but an awful lot cheaper.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    Ive got the Quintet Blue and its great value for money (cost me £228 a year ago and I see it priced at £268 today). Its got a typical Ortofon sound which I like - detailed and smooth. To be honest I don't notice a huge difference between it and the 2M Black I have on another TT.

In respect of being bland; I dont like cartridges like the ATOC9 which I also own and find to be too toppy and bassy - bit like modern speakers and headphones. My preference is very neutral if possible.

I learnt long ago to ignore reviews and others comments and listen before buying. In fact the Blue was demod alongside other Ortofon carts at a show when it was very quiet so I heard it against the higher range also - not as good but an awful lot cheaper.
    Yeah, loved the Quintet Black, my first ever mc - smooth and detailed for sure.
    Just as good as my 2M Black before it, difference in my experience was a tad more transparency and delineation of revealing subtle detail of bass textures etc.
    Bass was less weighty, which might lead some to feel it's overall presentation a bit on the soft side.
    Kind of makes sense really as if it did have that weight it would be just too close to it's much more pricey, bigger brother the Cadenza Black.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123