+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spin-clean

I'm Kevin.

Default Spin-clean

Is the spin-clean a good economic way to deep clean some old vinyl? Any recommendation in solutions?

I'm jamie.

imo not a deep clean.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Darius.

Spin-clean is fine but don't use the cotton cloth you get with it. Lint-free microfiber cloth or air dry. The cleaning solution you get with it is good, I use just distilled water if the record is new. I use a cleaning solution only for old dirty records. Phoenix brand record cleaner for deep cleaning. Work it in with a pad and then rinse it off in the spin-clean.

I'm Simon.

I'd recommend saving up a little more and get a ''proper'' RCM with vacuum. For me, it's the best way to clean records properly and it not be labour intensive. I can clean a record and have it on the platter within 5 minutes (bone dry).

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by kbury25 View Post
    Is the spin-clean a good economic way to deep clean some old vinyl? Any recommendation in solutions?
    I wouldn't recommend it. You'll get incomparably better results with a vacuum RCM or an ultrasound cleaning machine (pricier solution).
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Christopher.

I have the Spin Clean but have 'upgraded' to a 'proper' RCM (Okki Nokki).

No comparison, really. The OKKi cleans much deeper, much quicker, and without the mess - although the vac is noisy.

I have a largish collection - 3000 plus - so the cost of the proper RCM is well worth it to me.

I'm Phil.

I use a Spin Clean. I'm sure the vacuum cleaners are much better, but they are also much more expensive. I think the spin Clean does a decent job and is easy and relatively quick to use. It has certainly improved some second hand records I had in my collection.

I'm Christopher.

Quote Originally Posted by MarginWalker View Post
    I use a Spin Clean. I'm sure the vacuum cleaners are much better, but they are also much more expensive. I think the spin Clean does a decent job and is easy and relatively quick to use. It has certainly improved some second hand records I had in my collection.
    I used Spin Clean for about a year, then bought an Okki Nokki RCM. The Spin Clean always seemed decent to me, too...but the Okki Nokki cleans far, far deeper.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by kbury25 View Post
    If you want to try one relatively risk-free, I have one you can have for the price of postage, Kevin. I think I have a half-bottle of the cleaning solution, too.

Let me know.

I'm Tom.

A spin clean is definitely better than no cleaning at all - I used one when I started out in vinyl collecting. But save up for a vacuum RCM!

+ Reply to Thread