+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wanted: TRESHAM AUDIO, DR1, Preamplifier, DR102, Stereo Power Amplifier with PS102,*

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't make the rules.
    thats what the nazi's said
    My System/ Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-1700, direct drive turntable, Townsend Elite rock 2 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS tonearm,Ortofon 2M BLACK cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp ,

I'm Martin.

They weren't wrong about everything

okay they probably were but it is interesting that you should invoke Godwin's Law on this subject.

Discussion of NVA equipment is allowed, discussion of some other related topics is not. That's more than you will get in most dictatorships. Sorry, meant audio forums.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Parasound CDPi1000 * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm jamie.

it was a partridge reference mate,you like a bit of partridge dont you?
    all be it not exact,i believe he said, i was just following orders......
    My System/ Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-1700, direct drive turntable, Townsend Elite rock 2 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS tonearm,Ortofon 2M BLACK cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp ,

I'm Martin.

Ah yes, the Country Club episode:

'They have excellent facilities though. As did the Nazis.'
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Parasound CDPi1000 * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Discussion of NVA equipment is allowed, discussion of some other related topics is not. That's more than you will get in most dictatorships. Sorry, meant audio forums.
    Haha...

My experience of other forums is that we (the mod team/admin) here are rather more tolerant/lenient than what you mostly get elsewhere!

For example, I once joined a Mercedes owners club forum, and disputed a moderating decision, to which I was told by the site owner, and I quote: "Moderating decisions are final and not up for debate, so refrain from entering into any form of dialogue ". At least we LISTEN to folks here first, giving them a chance to respond, then do what we think is right.

Btw, having checked the edits, as far as I can see, no rules have been broken, in reference to mentioning RD. You need to read the rules again, folks....

What's prohibited is RD being mentioned outside of a hi-fi context, especially in reference to his 'forum', not in here in this instance, in a hi-fi context, as designer of the amps/MD of the company in question.

As an example, this IS permitted: "Richard Dunn, owner of NVA and maker of hi-fi amplifiers", or similar. This isn't permitted: "Richard Dunn, who owns and runs HFS, and is a total [insert chosen expletive here]", or similar.

I trust alles klar now? It's not difficult

Also note that I (occasionally) reserve the right to mention his forum and/or him in any context I like, if I consider it pertinent to do so, especially when, as sometimes happens, defending myself and/or AoS against serious false allegations/accusations.

However, 99% of the time, that won't happen, and I'll simply default to the stipulated rules.

Marco.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do". - Milan Kundera.

"Your validity or worth are not defined or determined by the views of others with their own superimposed agendas". - Pharos (on AoS)

My system:

Modified Technics SL-1210MK5G/Mike New high-precision bearing & baseplate/Mike New ETP platter/Bruil record weight/Nagaoka GL602 crystal T/T mat. Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules)/DCSXL pure-silver DC lead. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/'Speedy Steve' custom-made Ebony armboard. Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver-Litz tonearm cable, with Furutech CF-DIN(R) and Eichmann silver Bullet Plugs. Cartridges: Denon DL-S1 in AT MG-10 headshell with AT-6106 Quattro Hybrid lead-wire. Denon DL-103C1 in '103U' headshell with AT-609 silver lead-wire. Vintage Denon DL-103AU in AT-Ti15ANV Titanium Headshell. Shure M55E in Denon PCL-300 headshell with 6N silver lead-wire. Shure original USA SC35C. Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 transport/DAC. Raspberry Pi-3 Model B and IQaudio Pi-DAC+/Paul Hynes SR3DR-05 linear PSU/Williams Audio NAS linear PSU. Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X preamp. Stereo Coffee LDR. Head-amp: Paul Hynes design/SR5 PSU. Also modified Lentek. Tube Distinctions 50W Class A P/P Copper amp with cryo-treated Tung Sol KT150s. Speakers: 'Lockwood Majors', using 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, modified with bespoke crossovers. Also Celestion Ditton 15XRs. Stands: Mana Acoustics (non-magnetic stainless steel 'clones’). Hi-Fi Racks Podium T/T wall shelf. Sony ST-5055L tuner. Cables: Furukawa EE/F-S 2mm & 2.6mm solid-core mains leads, fitted with Furutech FI-50 IECs and FI-1363Rs. Stereo interconnects: Sommer Carbokab 225 (with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs). Speaker cable: VDH 'The Wind' Hybrid II. Digital coaxial cable: 1m Trompeter Electronics Triax TRC-75-2, with MS Audio ‘Starline' silver-plated RCAs. Mains block: Mark Grant 6-way, modded with Furutech FP-1363R sockets and Furukawa cable. Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner.

I'm Michael.

Wow, didn't realize that this was such a topic. I was going to say that I was once an owner of the bigger Tresham 302 with DR1 Pre. I had the Pre upgraded to DR3 by Tannoy who had taken over Tresham. I always thought the power amp was better than the pre. I owned this pair for around 10 years before the power amp expired in a great flash and a bang! A bit like this thread I suppose.

I'm Don.

Hi Geoff
    hope ur well ....yes, if you have any literature, could you please fling a PDF over here...I'll PM the email address...
    have a good summer.
    Take care

I'm Don.

Well, I knew there was more than one way to light a fire...or start a riot for that matter...That's why I love this forum..It's in yer face!
    Thank you for all your input...got a couple of leads out of this, and are being followed up. I'll let you know the outcome.

VIVA AOS!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with far away trains passing by...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Nothing special about the amps either. He couldn't even interest dealers in them.
    They were very powerful pro amps and the re-badged Tannoy version got an excellent review in HiFi Choice (I have the review). Many amp makes fell by the wayside if they were Naim priced back then and where I might accept it for the old bolt-up stuff, which was sweet and 'musical,' at least when new, the hard-as-nails (with loads of odd order and crossover distortion to back it up) 'CB' range wasn't worthy, although we ignorant youngsters out for sonic excitement lapped it up for a while. Today, practically all BC Naim will have been serviced and they do respond well to this, at least for a while and current Naim sounds nothing like them, at least until two or three years ago...

I suspect it's horses for courses. Very powerful amps like the Tresham work really well in pro circles, where extra power means unburstable extra dynamic range most often. I suspect at low 'domestic' volume levels, a simpler design would be better - less circuit gubbins for the signal to pass through perhaps?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me; Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me.....................

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post
    Hi Geoff
    hope ur well ....yes, if you have any literature, could you please fling a PDF over here...I'll PM the email address...
    have a good summer.
    Take care
    I'll have to rummage and see what I still have, if anything Don. I have rather a lot of old Hi-Fi literature!
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123