+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wharfedale E30/50/70 - Any good ?

I'm Mark.

Default Wharfedale E30/50/70 - Any good ?

This is a longstanding itch that I can either ditch or act upon: - when I first started with hifi I knew somebody who had a pair of these (but can't remember which ones now). I was at that impressionable age and I was impressed. They sounded better than my Wharfedale Lintons anyhow and looked very 'rock & roll'

Now 40 years later I sometimes see a pair for sale and think ..... shall I ?
    But rather than dashing out, like I would have done in the 70s, and making a rash purchase, I wondered if people here have ever had them and would encourage me to get them or leave them alone ?

I still have my original Lintons but they are in storage and not used. My system is hooked up to B&W DM2, which I like and probably not going to replace, but if the E series are worth having I may swap them around occasionally.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl turner View Post
    This is a longstanding itch that I can either ditch or act upon: - when I first started with hifi I knew somebody who had a pair of these (but can't remember which ones now). I was at that impressionable age and I was impressed. They sounded better than my Wharfedale Lintons anyhow and looked very 'rock & roll'

Now 40 years later I sometimes see a pair for sale and think ..... shall I ?
    But rather than dashing out, like I would have done in the 70s, and making a rash purchase, I wondered if people here have ever had them and would encourage me to get them or leave them alone ?

I still have my original Lintons but they are in storage and not used. My system is hooked up to B&W DM2, which I like and probably not going to replace, but if the E series are worth having I may swap them around occasionally.
    It depends what you mean by any good.... I would only go for the E70 and E90 models as being built for very high efficiency they will have poor bass extension for their size. I also remember being most impressed by them... when I was 15... I guess they were built to go effortlessly loud and sound good on rock music etc. I would expect them to be a bit harsh and shouty on the "wrong" music though.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

For better or worse, you'll find they have a fair bit in common with seventies JBL's like the L100 Century or L36 Decade.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

I've heard a set of the little ones (in a record shop) and they were a bit average and toppy, too, so agree with Jez only the 70 or 90 are worth considering. They are on my list to try as well. People want unrealistic money for them though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Considering the money the Wharfedale 'E' series fetch these days, the money would be better spent on a pair of Tannoy Devons or Eatons, which will do everything better. Better than the JBL's too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Hugh.

The Wharfedale E series does have its fans, and they can sound impressive, but for me they fit into the 'bleeding ears' category.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Considering the money the Wharfedale 'E' series fetch these days, the money would be better spent on a pair of Tannoy Devons or Eatons, which will do everything better. Better than the JBL's too.
    Thanks for that Geoff,
    T.B.H. Tannoys have been off my radar until reading glowing praise for them on here. I keep looking but they always seem expensive - £1k+ ...
    I know some have said certain models are better than others, so I'll take note for the two you mention.

Also, thanks for the other comments received - they are very useful and there is clearly a theme here.
    Hopefully somebody who has a set will give us their thoughts.

I'm nigel.

i can completely relate to the "itch", but be prepared for a letdown.
    in my case the scratch was provided by a pair of ahem....REALISTIC Mach 2s.

having seen a these monsters in Tandys in the early 80s I could never shift the thought of all that 15" woofer goodness out of ny mind.
    I chanced upon a pair a few years back, refoamed and in good condition to boot.

after a 2 hour drive to collect them I was almost pissing myself with excitement when I finally got them home and wired in.
    the result.....shockingly bad, not even a "fun listen".

given the cab size there was no bass worthy of the the name and the top end could cut steel.
    flogged them on a couple of days later to a drum na bass, hipperty hop lover.....he loved em, bless.

NIGE

+ Reply to Thread