+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm an idiot: or always check what you have and are already using before buying new..

I'm Andrew.

Talking I'm an idiot: or always check what you have and are already using before buying new..

A story of caution (for me anyway!)

After much procrastinating over which speaker cable to buy, Steve (soundsheavenly) mentioned in a post that he uses QED Classic 79 strand in his system, good enough for him, more than good enough for me.

I order 10 metres and some gold plated banana and spade connectors (my C60's are so old school!).

Measure it all this morning, ended up just cutting into equal lengths, added the connectors and pulled out the old cable.
    The cable I had been using was just some that I had in a box, one length or generic white stuff and a longer piece of generic black stuff, or so I thought. Upon checking the black stuff is actually (can you guess yet??) QED Classic 79 strand, oh now I remember buying a load of it when I got all new AV kit a few years, never mind it was only 21 quid delivered for the 10 metres and I guess it's always good to have some spare.

Moral of the story, always check what you have stored away or even in use before you got spending your pennies, you could well have what you need already!
    My music room system - Kef C60's, Arcam rDAC, NAD C352 fed by an old Mini ITX PC

My AV system - Dali Zensor 1 5.1 system, Onkyo TNXR636 with Onkyo Dolby Atmos speakers fed by an Nvidia Shield TV

I'm Martin.

Nearly did that the other day. Decided I needed a SCART to RCA cable. Went into Richer Sounds but they had never heard of SCART and laughed me out of the place.

Good job too as not only did it turn out that I did not need one for what I was doing but just found a perfectly good one while tidying up earlier today.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Nearly did that the other day. Decided I needed a SCART to RCA cable. Went into Richer Sounds but they had never heard of SCART and laughed me out of the place.

Good job too as not only did it turn out that I did not need one for what I was doing but just found a perfectly good one while tidying up earlier today.
    What's SCART?????

I jest, I jest, got a box full of them somewhere cos you never know................................
    My music room system - Kef C60's, Arcam rDAC, NAD C352 fed by an old Mini ITX PC

My AV system - Dali Zensor 1 5.1 system, Onkyo TNXR636 with Onkyo Dolby Atmos speakers fed by an Nvidia Shield TV

I'm Martin.

Yes, I am also fully equipped should I involuntarily travel back in time to circa 1990 and need to set up an a/v system there.

Also found a DIN to RCA adaptor. I mean that has got to come in useful again, right?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

It could happen Martin, it is why I didn't chuck out the DIN PC Keyboard and serial mouse I found when clearing out the cellar a few months ago and why I have a box of Toslink cables from my 2 revisions ago AV setup (and the now dead Denon AV amp that powered it).

Involuntary, spontaneous time travel could happen at any time and some of us will be prepared for it!

I'm Geoff.

Not quite the same, but my vacuum cleaner packed up. Tried it a few times, no joy and it smelled as though something had burned out. So, I went and bought a new one. Got home and my daughter was using the old one. I told her it had stopped working and she said "oh, it's always doing that if the filter needs cleaning"!

Now I have two.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

thought you'd have opened it up 90% of hoover faults are jams, brushes and belts
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    thought you'd have opened it up
    Nah. It was a cheapo and I thought it had had it. Must have a thermal cut-out!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

aye, my panasonic has one of those. cuts in early if the hopper and its filter is full. also has a flap of rubber that opens and stops it taking up any more dirt.. makes a damn loud noise too lol.
    i clean it with my compressor outside
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andrew.

Oh god we're talking about vacuum cleaners now!! lol

Oh having matching cable on both speakers does seem to have improved the balance of them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast