+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you Aspergers?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    it's a children's programme that's been crap for over 30 years
    I'd go along with that.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post

Yeah, we 'Aspies' do like our set routines and when they change, it throws us big-time.
    And yet Dr Who changes constantly! I can barely remember the William Hartnell Doctor (maybe we didn't have a TV then), so Jon Pertwee is the 'right' person in the role for me. Tom Baker seemed OTT, and anyway I was thinking I was bit too old to be watching a kid's programme by the time he took over. Soon after, I was without a TV again, so the Dr Who habit was broken.

I'm Geoff.

I last consciously paid attention to Doctor Who, when Jon Pertwee starred in the early seventies. He was perfect for the role, bringing a humour and eccentricity, that the rather bluff William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton did not have. And Katy Manning was cute.

Since then, I've only seen it when others in our home have watched it and from what I saw, it did not seem as good.

Last edited by walpurgis; 17-07-2017 at 09:49.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rich.

After observing the behaviour of my brother in law at a recent party I can only assume he is either aspergers or is entirely devoid of tact.

So much so that I now introduce him to people like "this is xxxx, my brother in law, he's a tactless f**ker" so as they don't get offended. My sister seems to love him though
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Doctor Who was never intended originally as 'just' a children's programme you know. I seem to recall it was funded by the main BBC Drama wing rather than 'Children's TV.' In the 60's, the companions were chosen to keep Mum and Dad involved as well...
    Indeed (which is why it was so good), and for me that's patently obvious when you do comparisons with the current version, and it's why now (as an adult) it puts me off, as that 'kiddification' gets on my nerves.

The other major difference, and for me an integral part of what Dr Who was all about, was the accompanying superb sound effects, created by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, which added to the dark and eerie atmosphere, during stories, I loved in the original series.

That's nonexistent now, and been replaced with (often) over the top special effects, designed to appeal to today's kids, with low-attention spans. Hey ho......

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    So it's a children's programme that's been crap for over 30 years in your opinion.
    Nope, not quite. It's gradually been getting 'crapper', post Tom Baker, to the point of where it is now. Of the new doctors, Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant were half decent, as were their respective assistants, but the rest for me haven't been worthy of the position.

As long as its current audience is happy with it, I don't see the problem.
    Indeed, but people like me (and I suspect Dave) would've liked to have seen it remain truer to its original roots, as that format is what attracted us to the programme in the first place. In that respect, it's rather like it is with music...

Often a band's first album is their best album, and they can never quite capture or recreate the 'original sound'/vibe, or what fans considered was best about that first album, in later albums.

Essentially, when you 'taste' something you like, you simply want MORE of the SAME, but next time perhaps even better, not a completely different flavour (or product) altogether.

And so it is with Dr Who. 1963-1981: the golden years! After that, forget it...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Doctor Who may have changing scenario's, but the broad format was the same and the escapism may have helped, I don't know I remember hating every new actor to play the role at first. Only now with the recordings on the shelf, can I go back and see that these 'new' characters weren't bad at all, each bringing a fresh aspect to the character while staying true to the original concept - in my opinion. My favourite Doctor has to be Patrick Troughton - I loathed him at first in his first story (Power of the Daleks), yet he was deliberately trying to throw the audience a little before settling into the wonderful, intelligent and naughty/irreverent character he became, such a shame that so much of his work for the show is missing and possibly lost forever now. Pertwee too I disliked, yet he developed a wonderful almost fatherly kind of way and of course the action-man side appealed to teenage boys, the 'Brigadier' (and the needle between them) also inforcing that role. The current stuff, most of it, rewards a second look as there's so much going on you can't take it in on first watching. Only the recent 'Moffat-era' stories cause me to run from the hills although that may change. A show that was an important part of my childhood and I'll never fully abandon it. This new gender-change will rock it to the core though, so we'll see. Can't see young boys playing with a female Doctor model against the toy Daleks and Cybermen though, so a potential toy revenue channel may have been blocked from the start.

Back to Aspies and audio... I can think of one speaker designer who is almost certainly off the scale with his attitude and utter blind dedication to his products, design procedures and so on and I'm sure there are others in this industry. The problem comes when they know a lot about a little yet think they know everything about it all (Roy Gandy was very much like this in the early days of Rega and for years, there was a kind of patronising smugness permeating through the company). If I come across like this I apologise... Also been reading the 1976 Angus McKenzie speaker tests he did for the first HiFi Choice. My Gawd he was scathing of so many models and didn't hold back in an almost rude way - another utterly dedicated soul who didn't suffer fools gladly I was told. Some of the smaller models may have been blown in the high-power tests apparently done before the listening tests were carried out though and I remember when the Audiomaster Image 2's came back after a rotten review, A severely upset Robin Marshall showed us the destroyed crossovers with overheated tweeter coils and melted caps - severe damage as I recall - maybe this is what started him on the road to ever simpler speaker designs, culminating in the (to me) endearing Epos ES14. The Audiomaster 3/5A's (also not liked as much as the Chartwell equivalent, when they should have been similar - only the BBC had centre-line identical ones and these had XLR connectors on the back) were also overheated, but everything still worked I remember.
    Last edited by DSJR; 17-07-2017 at 10:42.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Grant.

Watched up til tom baker went, although not avidlŷ. Wasnt a big telly adictvwhen young. Didnt have much tv anyway, initial,y only a couple of channels and not all day. May only have been one
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

There were only really a few good episodes in the Pertwee/Baker era. Before it was rubbish and after Baker it was rubbish again. Did watch some of the Tennant episodes but he carried it really, the stories were pretty weak on the whole.

My favourite stories remain Genesis of The Daleks, The Ark In Space, Robots Of Death and The Pyramids of Mars. Watched them all again last year. Now these could be remade with a bigger budget and some CGI effects to tart them up a bit and they would be tremendous. Ironic how back then they did not have the budget or technical capability to make the most of the great scripts, when now that they do they don't have any great scripts to work with.

The writers ought to re-watch those classics and learn from them instead of obsessing over who is gay and lesbian. Do they not realise that no-one who is not gay or lesbian gives a toss about that shit? They marred the otherwise brilliant Sherlock Holmes series with that crap, not enough to ruin it but they tried their hardest.

As for new Doctor being a woman, who cares? They buried the original concept of the show years ago already. It can't get any worse now whatever they do.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Nobody seems to mention Sylvester McCoy. I agree. Probably best forgotten!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast