+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 141

Thread: Are you Aspergers?

  1. #131
    Join Date: May 2009

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 3,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    And, in that respect, you're not alone. However, as I'm completely the opposite (very little fazes me socially), I've always wondered what causes such 'shyness' in someone?

    Marco.
    I think it's generally a heightened awareness of self; the constant fear that 'everyone's looking at me' (though they usually aren't). Often shyness coincides with adolescence, when the body is changing and there's emotional changes going on too; some people grow out of it as they become more comfortable in their skin, as it were, others don't. It may be partly a cultural/generational thing too; until relatively recently children in England were expected to be seen and not heard, especially out in public, so parents would discourage children from talking to adults, with the result that the children became tongue-tied.

  2. #132
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 18,307
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I just can't think of what to say to the buggers!

    :
    I was the same until I worked in sales. I was shy as a boy though, like Joe says we were brought up not to bother the adults by talking to them or indeed engaging with them in any way. Was even worse with girls. no sisters and all boys school, they might as well have been a separate species for me as a teenager.
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Sony X505ES CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / NVA A30 Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *



    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

  3. #133
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 38,449
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    they are a separate species mate.
    Regards,
    Grant ....

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, DEEZER HiFi - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

  4. #134
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 73,907
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I think it's generally a heightened awareness of self; the constant fear that 'everyone's looking at me' (though they usually aren't). Often shyness coincides with adolescence, when the body is changing and there's emotional changes going on too; some people grow out of it as they become more comfortable in their skin, as it were, others don't. It may be partly a cultural/generational thing too; until relatively recently children in England were expected to be seen and not heard, especially out in public, so parents would discourage children from talking to adults, with the result that the children became tongue-tied.
    Thanks for that, and I can appreciate where you're coming from, although I had a somewhat different upbringing.

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

  5. #135
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 73,907
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I was the same until I worked in sales. I was shy as a boy though, like Joe says we were brought up not to bother the adults by talking to them or indeed engaging with them in any way. Was even worse with girls. no sisters and all boys school, they might as well have been a separate species for me as a teenager.
    Lol... Just shows you how different we are! I've never really been shy, even as an only child, as I was brought up used to adult company and mixing with them from an early age. As such, from as soon as I could hold a decent conversation, I was always an opinionated wee bugger!

    What also helped, in that respect, was working in my dad's chip shop and interacting with the general public, which happened from my early teens. Also, the schools I went to were all mixed, and I had no problem chatting to (or chatting up) girls!

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

  6. #136
    Join Date: Feb 2017

    Location: Surrey, UK

    Posts: 123
    I'm Mark.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    And, in that respect, you're not alone. However, as I'm completely the opposite (very little fazes me socially), I've always wondered what causes such 'shyness' in someone?

    Marco.
    There are probably as many answers as there are 'shy' people. One possibility is that a person has no small-talk or no interest in small-talk which can be uncomfortable, or maybe in a larger group one doesn't have the urge to 'compete' for attention which again can be awkward. The list is endless. Turning it round, Can you say what it is that makes you so sociably well adjusted? I bet it's not a universal correlation.

    Edit: I see your later post, but had already posted this
    Last edited by Len Co; 25-07-2017 at 19:27. Reason: Earlier Post not seen

  7. #137
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 73,907
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Lol... Don't know about "socially well-adjusted", Mark!

    I'm just not in the slightest bit shy and completely comfortable talking to anyone, in any environment I've experienced so far. I've done public speaking in the past too, in front of 100s of people. It's just not something that bothers me.

    There are plenty of other things that do, though!

    Marco.

    P.S Just noticed your edit, but replied anyway.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

  8. #138
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: Surrey

    Posts: 5,886
    I'm Rob.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I don't do small talk, and feel uncomfortable when in situations where it seems to be required.
    I'm quite happy to chatter away about specific things of interest, though.
    That is a kind of shyness.
    Small Talk! Most people talk bollox and only about the stuff they want to talk about. Can't stand being one to one with someone I don't know, or barely know. I would rather put a scalding hot Steam Iron to my cheek and hold it there all night, much less painful. If they do, as an afterthought ask you anything about yourself I make something up which I hope will make them clam up, like "what do you do"..."Oh i'm a roadsweeper"
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

  9. #139
    Join Date: Feb 2017

    Location: Surrey, UK

    Posts: 123
    I'm Mark.

    Default

    Try serial-killer next time ��

  10. #140
    Join Date: May 2009

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 3,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Small Talk! Most people talk bollox and only about the stuff they want to talk about.
    That's fine for me; I'm a good listener and am quite happy if people blether on about stuff and I just need to smile and nod. Where I have a problem (sometimes, and a lot less frequently than when I was in my teens) is thinking of things to say myself. Once I get started though, it's hard to shut me up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •