+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Technics 1200....PSU

I'm Serf.

Default Upgrading Technics 1200....PSU

Hi everyone!

I've been using my Technics 1200MK2 tables professionally for over 30 years. After all the reliable years of sonic bliss, the tables will finally compliment my HI-FI system. But before I add it to the rest of the gear, I would like to make it sound as 'neutral' as possible. One of the ways is implementing an external Power Supply Unit. The other is fluid damper injection.

So far I'm I'm installing a new tonearm, and Cardas Litz tonearm wires. Even a new coat of pearl white paint!

My system:

Bryston 4B3
    Bryston Model T signature speakers
    Simaudio MOON NEO Preamp
    OPPO UDP-205 for DAC
    Rotel RQ-970BX Phono Preamp
    AT-AL150 Cartridge

My question is: Will the PSU and fluid make an audible difference to an already decent sounding TT? Can someone point me in the direction of sourcing parts for a PSU DIY and instructions. I will be happy to start on this project.

TIA! Serf

I'm Neil.

Fluid damping only suit some carts, not all so adding one will depend on the cart.

PSUs, my experience is that all I have tried have a characteristic they add, so in away a house sound. I was surprised at that, but its what I heard. Of course if you build your own, well it will have your flavour.
    Regards Neil

I'm Geoff.

I'm not aware of a fluid damping facility on the SL-1200/1210 arm.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm not aware of a fluid damping facility on the SL-1200/1210 arm.
    Its a KAB upgrade, you fit the KAB parts to the arm, bit like how you can add a SME 5 damping trough to an SME 4.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by djEmpire View Post
    Hi everyone!

I've been using my Technics 1200MK2 tables professionally for over 30 years. After all the reliable years of sonic bliss, the tables will finally compliment my HI-FI system. But before I add it to the rest of the gear, I would like to make it sound as 'neutral' as possible. One of the ways is implementing an external Power Supply Unit. The other is fluid damper injection.

So far I'm I'm installing a new tonearm, and Cardas Litz tonearm wires. Even a new coat of pearl white paint!

TIA! Serf
    Another thing you should consider is peeling off that ill applied factory rubber mat on the underside of your platter and replacing it with a layer of Dynamat Extreme.
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Serf.

I never thought of that. Any recommendations where I can find it?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by djEmpire View Post
    I never thought of that. Any recommendations where I can find it?
    eBay/Amazon.

But please note once it's on its an absolute bugger to get it off again as it's bitumen like stuff on one side and foil on the other.

Someone had fitted some to the inside of my amp lid and it took 3 hours using various chemicals to remove ( luckily it wasn't me who had to remove it ).

I'm Nathan.

I have absolutely no intention of removing mine (Dynamat Extreme) as it damps the platter so much better than the stock undermat.
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
    I have absolutely no intention of removing mine (Dynamat Extreme) as it damps the platter so much better than the stock undermat.
    It was just a heads up to the OP as it's not just a try it then revert back that easily, if they didn't like the change then it's awkward to remove.

Be handy to have a spare platter to try it on.

I'm Serf.

I'm looking into this. Thanks for the tip.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast