+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrading Technics 1200....PSU

I'm Hugo.

none of the psu manufacturers seem to give any indication of their power handling capabilities unfortunately. Just vague terms like "2X overrated". The technics manual says it has a power consumption of 13.5W, which I'm pretty sure is the "running" power, not standby power.
    Last edited by 1200reasons; 06-08-2017 at 08:46. Reason: removed some snark

I'm Mike.

The upgrades that should be done are the ones to reduce noise/vibration within the TT, because with each of these reductions the audio becomes clearer. Same principle when designing a Phono stage, less noise more clarity.

The main ones are:

Bearing upgrade
    PSU Upgrade
    Platter upgrade
    Edit: Better Arm
    How much each one improves will be dependant on the quality/build of each item.

Plenty on here have done it, including myself and each time I added another piece of the jigsaw the 'picture' became easier to see ;-)
    Last edited by mikeyb; 06-08-2017 at 09:26.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    the advice I've read so far is people who know what they're talking about
    "people who know what they're talking about" should surely be able to answer sensible questions Mike. It makes sense to want to know the justification is for claims and to gain insight into potential benefits before investiing money.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    "people who know what they're talking about" should surely be able to answer sensible questions Mike. It makes sense to want to know the justification is for claims and to gain insight into potential benefits before investiing money.
    Agreed, but who knows better whether it improved their 1210 or not, those who've done it or those who haven't, I know which ones I'd listen to.

I'm not so fussy about figures or measurements ( mainly cos I don't understand them lol ), I rely on the advice of others and then just use my ears, they may be shite, buggered or wherever but at the end of the day we are all different and only 'I' know if it sounds right/good to me. If not I try something else that someone has put forward or recommended. So far ( touch wood ) most of the eedjits on here are actually right

Most of what I own/bought/sold on has been because of recommendations on here and other forums mainly because of no access to shops or demo facilities.

Anyway, I still recommend the three main area of improvement I mentioned above, I'm pretty sure every TT manufacturer would say the same, isn't that what many of them do with each TT in their range as you move up?

I forgot to add a better arm would help too, which I've now added to my post

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200reasons View Post
    On what basis would this be? It's quartz locked direct drive, so I really don't see how different PSUs can have different impacts. As long as the transistors get a DC voltage within their operational range, it should run perfectly regardless of the source of that DC. The only benefit that I can see is removing the internal transformer which vibrates slightly.

On the factory inbuilt PSU I measure at 0.02% speed stability (or similar. I forget), but I get a quiet hum while the needle is touching the record

It's temping to just put the factory PSU in an external box, but for the sake of not screwing anything up and keeping the resale as high as possible, I might prefer to buy one
    Objective listening opinion. I only go by what I hear. If you are a measurements and science only person then no doubt you will dismiss my listening experiences which were extensive and included some blind testing. I compared all the PSUs out there at the time, but not including the KAB. There were differences as one went up the PSU models and between the brands. I accept measurements have there place and are important, but unlike when I was a young audiophile and got excited about such, these days I only really care about how it sounds. I listen with my ears not measurement test equipment. But each to their own, and other folks mileage may differ.
    Regards Neil

I'm Mel.

Its easy to get carried away with upgrading, especially when there are many posts supporting it. Personal listening is always the best option as much can depend on the synergy of the system as a whole and rarely are users systems the same.

Interestingly my experience with the PSU on the Techie seems to go against the norm. I fitted a separate linear PSU (but not reg) and heard no disernable difference. As a separate PSU was more of an annoyance I just connected the original back up to avoid another box in my rack.

I also get no hum whatsoever from the existing PSU when my MC is at the closest point to the internal psu. I did initially get some hum but this turned out to be the phono I was using and in particular the PSU being used by that phono; switching to another removed the issue.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    I also get no hum whatsoever from the existing PSU when my MC is at the closest point to the internal psu.
    Not even from the physical vibration of the transformer? I get no hum when the cartridge is 1mm away from the record, but as soon as it hits the record it hums a little. EMI isn't a problem, but the vibrating transformer is.

I've got no idea whether it's affecting my sound quality, but it irks me to know that there's a measurable technical thing wrong with the turntable.

I'm Jim.

Of course it's effecting the sound quality - the entire point of a turntable is to spin the record so the physical grooves can vibrate the needle. Any spurious vibration also vibrates the needle and said vibrations were not recorded on the record

Quote Originally Posted by 1200reasons View Post
    Not even from the physical vibration of the transformer? I get no hum when the cartridge is 1mm away from the record, but as soon as it hits the record it hums a little. EMI isn't a problem, but the vibrating transformer is.

I've got no idea whether it's affecting my sound quality, but it irks me to know that there's a measurable technical thing wrong with the turntable.
    An external PSU, in my experience, makes a shed load of positive change to the Techy. I wholeheartedly recommend it!

Were I to get another SL-1200 and start over, I'd do PSU, Acromat, Isonoes, and a tonearm rewire (if it were a mk2 or any of the others with the insulation that likes to eat the wire's tin.)
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
    Of course it's effecting the sound quality - the entire point of a turntable is to spin the record so the physical grooves can vibrate the needle. Any spurious vibration also vibrates the needle and said vibrations were not recorded on the record
    I agree. A turntable should be as vibration free as possible.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123