+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Arkless 640P phono stage loan list.

I'm Christopher.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Sorry but no.
    Hi Jez,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I will send you a link to the blog once it is up and running...just in case a bake-off loan is something you might consider a little further down the line.

Warm regards,

Christopher

I'm Jez.

Anyone else want to try the Arkless 640P before I have it sent back to me? You will not be able to try it once it is returned to me for about 6 months.
    Others on loan list either can't be contacted or don't have enough posts.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Kevin.

I have been using Jez’s loaner phono stage for the past week. It was used with a Luxman PD272 turntable, a Technics EPC-205C mkIII cartridge, Sony STR-6060 amplifier and Castle Warwick speakers.
    After a few days of listening to a range of different music I am very impressed - it was always engaging and very musical. All the details are there but nothing is exaggerated. I haven’t heard anything which sounds as good for the same sort of price (and quite a lot of more expensive stuff which doesn’t).
    Unfortunately I won’t be buying one. Why? I have decided that I would be better off waiting until I can afford to get Jez to be build me a pre-amp with a built in phono stage - let the scrimping commence.

Kev

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckletheuncivil View Post
    I have been using Jez’s loaner phono stage for the past week. It was used with a Luxman PD272 turntable, a Technics EPC-205C mkIII cartridge, Sony STR-6060 amplifier and Castle Warwick speakers.
    After a few days of listening to a range of different music I am very impressed - it was always engaging and very musical. All the details are there but nothing is exaggerated. I haven’t heard anything which sounds as good for the same sort of price (and quite a lot of more expensive stuff which doesn’t).
    Unfortunately I won’t be buying one. Why? I have decided that I would be better off waiting until I can afford to get Jez to be build me a pre-amp with a built in phono stage - let the scrimping commence.

Kev
    Glad you liked it Kev I have had a full pre amp with phono stage commissioned and a build thread with photos of the construction etc will be going in my trade area soon. It's one of the valve hybrid ones I said would go into production anytime soon about a year ago but never did anything more about...

As I mentioned earlier if anyone else wants to try the Arkless 640P demo unit then it is important that it is now. Ask me in a week and the answer will be no....

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Kevin.

I remember you discussing it - look forward to seeing how you make it

I'm Andrew.

All plugged in and ready to go!

I'm Andrew.

So the Arkless 640p arrived on Thursday and I had a good listen to it last night with a variety of music.

To cut straight to it - its very, very good but not enough to want me to buy one in place of the JVC AX-Z1010 internal stage. Jez did intimate that it might struggle against it, its got a very good deign with some super posh components in it.

The A640 sounded very good straight off, indeed at first I thought it might be better. Bass lines seemed a bit more up front but I realized it had more gain that the 1010. Once I had sorted that out things became a bit clearer. It has very low noise as well which is good.
    Everything was easy to hear and the music was enjoyable. One thing I did notice is that the micro dynamics in the music were not quite as easy to hear. Not totally gone but on the 1010 singers breathing, fret noises etc. were always there, you didn't have to strain to hear them. These little ques are what makes music sound 'live' to me and not a facsimile.
    The 640p is a great stage though and for the money is very good value - I could easily live with it.
    Thanks to Jez for making this available and if your in the market for a phono stage you should give this one a try! Jez you should allow it at bake offs.................

I made recording in audacity at 48k 24bit. Here is 1 min 30 secs of a good track.
    I normalized them to make sure they are the same volume, other than that they are not tampered with.
    Which do you prefer?

Sorry needledrops removed due to potential legal action from MOR 70s stadium rock group
    Last edited by Macca; 05-08-2017 at 20:10.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by flatpopely View Post
    So the Arkless 640p arrived on Thursday and I had a good listen to it last night with a variety of music.

To cut straight to it - its very, very good but not enough to want me to buy one in place of the JVC AX-Z1010 internal stage. Jez did intimate that it might struggle against it, its got a very good deign with some super posh components in it.

The A640 sounded very good straight off, indeed at first I thought it might be better. Bass lines seemed a bit more up front but I realized it had more gain that the 1010. Once I had sorted that out things became a bit clearer. It has very low noise as well which is good.
    Everything was easy to hear and the music was enjoyable. One thing I did notice is that the micro dynamics in the music were not quite as easy to hear. Not totally gone but on the 1010 singers breathing, fret noises etc. were always there, you didn't have to strain to hear them. These little ques are what makes music sound 'live' to me and not a facsimile.
    The 640p is a great stage though and for the money is very good value - I could easily live with it.
    Thanks to Jez for making this available and if your in the market for a phono stage you should give this one a try! Jez you should allow it at bake offs.................

I made recording in audacity at 48k 24bit. Here is 1 min 30 secs of a good track.
    I normalized them to make sure they are the same volume, other than that they are not tampered with.
    Which do you prefer?
    Phono A https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq3wnXTamss2hOgBAb8usgKJKpFvrg
    Phono B https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq3wnXTamss2hOgAMFOAUZtf6b0yfw
    Thanks for the review Andrew. About as I expected on the outcome and as I said in PM's. The JVC's built in stage is VERY good and has been further modified with better op-amps etc...

Anyway... Anyone else want to try it while it's doing it's rounds?

(edited, inappropriate comment about other website removed)
    Last edited by walpurgis; 06-08-2017 at 08:57.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by flatpopely View Post

Which do you prefer?
    Phono A https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq3wnXTamss2hOgBAb8usgKJKpFvrg
    Phono B https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq3wnXTamss2hOgAMFOAUZtf6b0yfw
    Phono B for me. Not a massive difference through laptop speakers though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Deleted.

B for me too - I wouldn't say the difference is subtle though!
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast