+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Arkless 640P phono stage loan list.

I'm Colin.

I bought one of these this year. My advice - don't loan, just buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

Thanks for the thumbs ups there guys

Peter (Boyse6748) will be receiving the demo unit tomorrow so lets see what he makes of it...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Peter.

Arkless Cambridge Azure 640 / 651p Modified Phono Stage Review.

Jez may think this too soon but 10 hours is enough to assess.

Firstly, let me clarify…. I have no association with Arkless Electronics (Jez) other that what has been submitted on this Forum.

This is also not a professional assessment or an assessment against other phono stages, just stuff that I use on a daily basis.

Review equipment:

Turntable: Rock 7 / SME V
    McIntosh MA 2275 Amp
    Cartridges: Decca Gold (mm) / Benz Wood (mc) “Note” for all you experts out there, I know this is not a true mm cartridge and is more a tie wire system, I.e. Moving Iron. (Just so no flack is sent). Sorry.!!!
    Phono Stage: Whest Two.2 (Replaced by the Arkless modified phono Stage)
    Speakers: Kef 105/3 & Revolver Cygnis (Tried both, just to make sure)

Music: (A selection of stuff, that some will like and others not)

Tubular Bells (2003 half Speed Master)
    London Grammar – Truth is a Beautiful Thing
    Willie Nelson Wynton Marsalis – Two Men with the Blues
    Sade – Diamond Life (Supermarket Music, but a stupendous recording)
    Beth Hart – Fire on the Floor
    Diana Krall – Turn up the Quite
    John McLaughlin / Al Di Meola / Pacco Delucia – Passion Grace & Fire / Friday night in San Francisco

So, a mix of Male / Female voice, some Jazz / Classical / Blues (sorry guys….. no POP or Rock) although a big Black Keys fan…. Amongst many others.

Decca Gold:

So, initially connecting the Arkless phono stage, I had to check that I had actually removed the Whest, as being a bit shocked from the start was a bit disconcerting. Background noise was also non existent.

Music just purred out of the speakers. Dynamic, yes / Musical, yes / listenable, yes.

To keep it brief, the Arkless phono stage is a fifth of the price of the Whest ( or thereabouts) and yet was filling the room with a delightful sound. “OH Dear”

Unfortunately, for me this continued throughout the listening period …. Regardless of what was played.

Have I spent the best part of £1400 on the Whest…. Thinking it was the dogs !!!!!!

However, there is some consolation. (Sorry not quite the correct Word). Changing over to the Benz Wood (mc). Things weren’t so straightforward. The load matching was not quite so good…… BUT, Arkless offers customised load matching for MC cartridges, it’s just the the provided 1100 ohm devices and didn’t quite do it for me but this I’m sure can be resolved with customised load requirements and is not really an issue.

For this part of the review, the Whest was better.

To finalise, because I’m sure you are bored to death by now!!!

For the money….. and provided you have a donor piece of kit, this really is a very fine phono stage. Equal to the majority of so called “High End” phono stages out there.

Here lies the rub….. I have tried without success to get a donor unit (Preferably the 651p unit, black) as it has an on/off switch). This would have been used for a second system. “Perhaps I will be able to obtain a unit in the future so I can get this terrific piece of kit”

Any questions are welcome… criticism on my spelling or typo’s is not the order or the day.

Thank You Jez. I hope your expertise is rewarded, for you have developed a fine piece of kit.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    Arkless Cambridge Azure 640 / 651p Modified Phono Stage Review.

Jez may think this too soon but 10 hours is enough to assess.

Firstly, let me clarify…. I have no association with Arkless Electronics (Jez) other that what has been submitted on this Forum.

This is also not a professional assessment or an assessment against other phono stages, just stuff that I use on a daily basis.

Review equipment:

Turntable: Rock 7 / SME V
    McIntosh MA 2275 Amp
    Cartridges: Decca Gold (mm) / Benz Wood (mc) “Note” for all you experts out there, I know this is not a true mm cartridge and is more a tie wire system, I.e. Moving Iron. (Just so no flack is sent). Sorry.!!!
    Phono Stage: Whest Two.2 (Replaced by the Arkless modified phono Stage)
    Speakers: Kef 105/3 & Revolver Cygnis (Tried both, just to make sure)

Music: (A selection of stuff, that some will like and others not)

Tubular Bells (2003 half Speed Master)
    London Grammar – Truth is a Beautiful Thing
    Willie Nelson Wynton Marsalis – Two Men with the Blues
    Sade – Diamond Life (Supermarket Music, but a stupendous recording)
    Beth Hart – Fire on the Floor
    Diana Krall – Turn up the Quite
    John McLaughlin / Al Di Meola / Pacco Delucia – Passion Grace & Fire / Friday night in San Francisco

So, a mix of Male / Female voice, some Jazz / Classical / Blues (sorry guys….. no POP or Rock) although a big Black Keys fan…. Amongst many others.

Decca Gold:

So, initially connecting the Arkless phono stage, I had to check that I had actually removed the Whest, as being a bit shocked from the start was a bit disconcerting. Background noise was also non existent.

Music just purred out of the speakers. Dynamic, yes / Musical, yes / listenable, yes.

To keep it brief, the Arkless phono stage is a fifth of the price of the Whest ( or thereabouts) and yet was filling the room with a delightful sound. “OH Dear”

Unfortunately, for me this continued throughout the listening period …. Regardless of what was played.

Have I spent the best part of £1400 on the Whest…. Thinking it was the dogs !!!!!!

However, there is some consolation. (Sorry not quite the correct Word). Changing over to the Benz Wood (mc). Things weren’t so straightforward. The load matching was not quite so good…… BUT, Arkless offers customised load matching for MC cartridges, it’s just the the provided 1100 ohm devices and didn’t quite do it for me but this I’m sure can be resolved with customised load requirements and is not really an issue.

For this part of the review, the Whest was better.

To finalise, because I’m sure you are bored to death by now!!!

For the money….. and provided you have a donor piece of kit, this really is a very fine phono stage. Equal to the majority of so called “High End” phono stages out there.

Here lies the rub….. I have tried without success to get a donor unit (Preferably the 651p unit, black) as it has an on/off switch). This would have been used for a second system. “Perhaps I will be able to obtain a unit in the future so I can get this terrific piece of kit”

Any questions are welcome… criticism on my spelling or typo’s is not the order or the day.

Thank You Jez. I hope your expertise is rewarded, for you have developed a fine piece of kit.

Peter

Thanks for the honest review Peter.

Only comment is that the loading plugs are 100R not 1100 and the Benz is most unusual in liking a very high load of 1000R (1K) so would not have given its best into this load. As Peter says I can supply loading plugs of literally any value. One set is included with the unit and people can specify the value but if no preference is made then 100R is supplied as it suits most carts fine. Unfortunately it is not practical to start making up custom sets for use with the demo unit as it goes from one person to the next and soon there would be 20 loading plugs of different values that all look identical in the box!

For anyone having trouble getting a second hand 640P or 651P there is always the option of a brand new CP2. I was amazed how many people in the past actually bought a brand new 651P and had it delivered directly to me for conversion!

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Peter.

Hi Jez, this is a super bit of kit..... I hope you haven't read my review as negative.... for that's not the case. It was just superb

Just struggling with what to purchase as a donor to modify! Really keen to get this kit.

If I offended... my apologies.

It was not intentional.

A truly super bit of kit

Peter

I'm Peter.

Jez, can't find the cp2,,,,eBay or other????
    Some guidance please.

Peter

I'm Jez.

Hi Jez, this is a super bit of kit..... I hope you haven't read my review as negative.... for that's not the case. It was just superb

Just struggling with what to purchase as a donor to modify! Really keen to get this kit.

If I offended... my apologies.

It was not intentional.

A truly super bit of kit

Peter

No offence no... not sure where you're getting that from

I'm sure with the correct loading plugs it would have impressed just as much with the Benz... It's fine to try the Benz with no loading plugs BTW just in case far too high suits it better than far too low... as I say 1000 Ohm is best for Benz.

Usually plenty of second hand 640P and 651P on evil bay (they don't need to work even as most of the innards are replaced) but prices are shocking! A 640P was only £60 new for a long time and some are asking £70 and £80! The 651P (identical but for added on/off switch) was £119 new and again many are going for £80-£90. It's not difficult to find one for £40-50 though... Current CP2 is same as 640P and 651P but has a balance control on the back (eh?!) which I would have to remove and bypass. These are £150 new.

I'm Jez.

Jez, can't find the cp2,,,,eBay or other????
    Some guidance please.

Peter

Richer Sounds.

Or this for example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/cambridge-...kAAOSwjKFZRU3x

I'm Kevin.

Default Request for Mod

I would love to be able to send you my 651 for the mod. Is there a way I can contact you about it all?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by kbury25 View Post
    I would love to be able to send you my 651 for the mod. Is there a way I can contact you about it all?
    You need to have made 5 posts on the forum, then you will be able to send Private Messages.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast