+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Arkless 640P phono stage loan list.

I'm Kevin.

Default Thanks

Thank you for the heads up about five posts.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by kbury25 View Post
    I would love to be able to send you my 651 for the mod. Is there a way I can contact you about it all?
    From Texas? You're keen! I'm sure I can accommodate that though.

PS If you could remove your "friend request" that would be great.... I can't get rid of the notification so I keep thinking I have a PM every time I look at the top of the page!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Hannes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Thanks for the honest review Peter.

Only comment is that the loading plugs are 100R not 1100 and the Benz is most unusual in liking a very high load of 1000R (1K) so would not have given its best into this load. As Peter says I can supply loading plugs of literally any value. One set is included with the unit and people can specify the value but if no preference is made then 100R is supplied as it suits most carts fine. Unfortunately it is not practical to start making up custom sets for use with the demo unit as it goes from one person to the next and soon there would be 20 loading plugs of different values that all look identical in the box!

For anyone having trouble getting a second hand 640P or 651P there is always the option of a brand new CP2. I was amazed how many people in the past actually bought a brand new 651P and had it delivered directly to me for conversion!
    Hi Jez,

as you know my 651p is in your hands at the moment. When I read about some MCs working better with different loading plugs, may I ask you to have a look at the following specifications regarding my Yamaha MC-9 and then decide which plug suits best for it? As I don't know which information is relevant I copied the whole specifications from Vinyl Engine:

Conversion method: cross-matrix type moving coil

Cantilever: Tapered aluminium tube

Stylus: 0.1 x 0.2mm rectangular diamond / 8 x 20 micron elliptical stylus

Armature: V-H cross shaped 78% permalloy core

Suspension: one point suspension

Damper: equalising damper for V-H control

Housing: mono-block terminals in high impact plastic case

Output voltage: 0.3mV

Channel balance: within 1dB

Channel separation: more then 28dB

Impedance: 30 ohms

Frequency response: 10 to 20,000Hz

Recommended tracking force: 1.5g (+-0.3g)

Many thanks and Best Regards from your patiently waiting customer,

Hannes

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
    Hi Jez,

as you know my 651p is in your hands at the moment. When I read about some MCs working better with different loading plugs, may I ask you to have a look at the following specifications regarding my Yamaha MC-9 and then decide which plug suits best for it? As I don't know which information is relevant I copied the whole specifications from Vinyl Engine:

Conversion method: cross-matrix type moving coil

Cantilever: Tapered aluminium tube

Stylus: 0.1 x 0.2mm rectangular diamond / 8 x 20 micron elliptical stylus

Armature: V-H cross shaped 78% permalloy core

Suspension: one point suspension

Damper: equalising damper for V-H control

Housing: mono-block terminals in high impact plastic case

Output voltage: 0.3mV

Channel balance: within 1dB

Channel separation: more then 28dB

Impedance: 30 ohms

Frequency response: 10 to 20,000Hz

Recommended tracking force: 1.5g (+-0.3g)

Many thanks and Best Regards from your patiently waiting customer,

Hannes
    It's the most common question I get asked and the answer will disappoint but is the same I give to everyone... I don't give advice on cartridge loading.
    Different cartridges react to loading in different ways, some are virtually insensitive to it and in some it can make a very noticeable difference. Add to this personal taste ie "one man's meat can be another man's poison" and it's a mine field.

I will supply loading plugs of literally any value but it is up to purchasers to tell me what they want. For most people a search of the internet can sometimes give suggested values on forums such as this, especially for more common models.
    The set that comes with the unit is 100R if no specific load is asked for but even this set can be supplied to any value at no extra cost.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Hannes Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    It's the most common question I get asked and the answer will disappoint but is the same I give to everyone... I don't give advice on cartridge loading.
    Different cartridges react to loading in different ways, some are virtually insensitive to it and in some it can make a very noticeable difference. Add to this personal taste ie "one man's meat can be another man's poison" and it's a mine field.

I will supply loading plugs of literally any value but it is up to purchasers to tell me what they want. For most people a search of the internet can sometimes give suggested values on forums such as this, especially for more common models.
    The set that comes with the unit is 100R if no specific load is asked for but even this set can be supplied to any value at no extra cost.
    Thank you, after having a look in the manual of the receiver I now know it's internal phono stage has 100R, too. As everything sounds fine we leave your delivered loadings as they are.

I'm Peter.

Jez,

Please clear your inbox.... it's full and my last message was rejected.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Peter.

Re: Arkless 640P. (A revised assessment regarding mc cartridges)

Good afternoon Jez,

First of all, many thanks for the loan of the phono stage..... it's just a stunning bit of kit that will beat many commercial phono stages out there for loads more money.

I took your advice and made up some different loading plugs for the Benz (47k Ohm and 1000k Ohm) loads.

Not much difference between the two but a massive difference in sound quality. So your advice was sound.

It appears, you need to go to the manufactures site to get the loading advice.

Before I send this on to the next lucky individual, I have say this really is a fine phono stage and have enjoyed every minute of the three days you allowed me to keep it.

I reiterate, the mc Benz Wood was as good as the Decca, just superb. I'm sure others will hear the same as I did !!!!

FINALLY, I thank you for you expertise.

My very best regards

All The best Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

Thanks for taking the trouble to make up some 1K loading plugs for the Benz Peter. The default loading IS 47K already ie remove the loading plugs and it is 47K, the standard figure for MM carts.
    I was confident from previous reviews and my own experience of the Arkless 640P that it must be just a loading issue with the Benz

Room made in inbox.

I'm Christopher.

Hi Jez,

Would you be up for loaning your phono stage for the purposes of a bake off?

A few of us in the north east would be interested in hearing different phono stages and we'd like to include one or two that are 'non-mainstream'.

We will have our existing stages - ranging from £200 to £1k, plus hopefully a couple of 'loaners'. Going by the reviews of your stage, we would love to compare it.

We would write up the findings for you (we aim to create our own blog in time).

It wouldn't be until mid Autumn (most of us are away at some point or other during the summer hols).

Thanks, in advance.

Christopher

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by PalsHuffMor View Post
    Hi Jez,

Would you be up for loaning your phono stage for the purposes of a bake off?

A few of us in the north east would be interested in hearing different phono stages and we'd like to include one or two that are 'non-mainstream'.

We will have our existing stages - ranging from £200 to £1k, plus hopefully a couple of 'loaners'. Going by the reviews of your stage, we would love to compare it.

We would write up the findings for you (we aim to create our own blog in time).

It wouldn't be until mid Autumn (most of us are away at some point or other during the summer hols).

Thanks, in advance.

Christopher
    Sorry but no.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast