+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Arkless 640P phono stage loan list.

I'm Grant.

tried it through my headphones and dac. bass is better on b........ a had a slightly lifted upper mid. thought both lacked a bit of sparkle
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

For me,

Phono B sounded much more open. Phono A sounded a veiled.

Phono B had better bass

I agree with Grant, there wasn't a standout moment between . I used my Sony MDR700 cans and my phone which has exceptional sound quality. It's the reason I bought it lol

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

Utterly pointless comparisons IMHO. "Needle drops" (I hate that term!) are as much use as a chocolate fireguard! If I record from vinyl even at 2496 it sounds a travesty of the sound without the digital processing

On a slightly different subject, I wonder if many would be interested in a "Jezadise" phono stage for maybe £800 ish? I was using the basic operational concept of the Paradise 20 years before it came out in a design of my own which I sold several of back then (all still in use as none of the owners has ever found anything better!). The Paradise takes the idea a step further by in effect having only one stage... as does the concept below...
    Recent computer simulation I've been doing is looking very good and should be doable with "only" 6-8 transistors per channel needing to be carefully matched It's looking doable to not use any capacitors in the signal path as well, unlike the few electrolytics in the Paradise. It would be MC only. It should be possible to make a MM only version as well but they would have no interchangeability between them, ie you could not have one converted to the other easily. IMHO if one is serious about vinyl replay one will be using an MC anyway so I'm only mentioning the possibility of an MM one for the sake of eccentrics who may want one for use with a Decca or some such beasty

How would it compare with the legendary Paradise? I've no idea, maybe better, maybe not as good, it's vapour ware at the moment so just putting the feelers out to see if there would be enough interest to take it further The salient point IMHO being that if the Paradise was available as a commercial product it would probably be around £5000, so if I could make something that works on the same principle and gets to even 90% of the Paradise's performance for £800...

Meanwhile does anyone else want to try the Arkless 640P?
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Grant.

Didnt know one was yours tbh jez. Never noticed the thread title. Just saw the 2 files and gave them a whirl. Still dont know what the 2 stages are
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm sorted.

Preferred B but both recordings seemed a little muted.

I'm Jez.

My guess would be that it is more the sound of the digital recording that one is judging here, plus a bit of how well level matched the recordings are. When I tried recording vinyl to digital files in the past the results were disappointing, with a greyness and lack lustre quality to the sound compared to straight from vinyl.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    My guess would be that it is more the sound of the digital recording that one is judging here, plus a bit of how well level matched the recordings are. When I tried recording vinyl to digital files in the past the results were disappointing, with a greyness and lack lustre quality to the sound compared to straight from vinyl.
    There's a lot of truth in that Jez. Tried myself a few times and been completely underwhelmed.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Deleted.

I used to do a lot of needle-drops back when they were allowed on pfm. However, toward the end I did become rather disenchanted as the digital recording system bleached out a lot of the subtleties.
    Account Deleted

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

The needledrop links need pulling

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...898#post313898
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Jez.

I take it the bit I find exciting, ie the possibility of a "Jezadise" phono stage is of no interest to any one else then? Zero feedback, passive RIAA, works in a way unlike any commercially made amplifier (AFAIK) other than the Pink Triangle PIP.... original Paradise reckoned by many to be "probably the best phono stage in the world" (Carlsberg ad voice needed there!). I'll certainly build one for myself as a technical curiosity if nothing else and see how it goes from there

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast