+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another new arrival

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Ian.

Default Another new arrival

After lots of chatting with Oliver ( Bigman80) and Jamie ( Jamie123) I decided to take the plunge and buy Oliver's Mission 774 tonearm. The combination of the Toshiba SR 370 and 774 works very well so I had to give it a go. I was very happy with the SME 3009 but in the quest for improvement I am very pleased to report that the 774 outperforms the SME, there isn't a vast difference and in fact they do sound similar but the 774 just does it better. There is a sense of space that the SME lacks and the mid and treble have a clarity and sweetness about them. The bass is maybe a tad deeper but it has more punch. These are all quite small improvements but improvements they are.
    Not so important but can't be avoided is that the 774 is an ugly little spud and with the 2M Black bolted on it will never win a beauty contest but then neither will I, we make a grand pair.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Barrington.

Never heard a bad sounding 774 👍

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

I love the way the 774 looks (and sounds) on the SR-370.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I love the way the 774 looks (and sounds) on the SR-370.

I notice you have an armrest to keep things safe, is it the standard Toshiba item or an aftermarket one?. Oliver thinks a Technics one could be adapted but any thoughts would be welcome.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I notice you have an armrest to keep things safe, is it the standard Toshiba item or an aftermarket one?. Oliver thinks a Technics one could be adapted but any thoughts would be welcome.
    It's a Japanese item, could be a Technics one, but can't recall. I mounted it on the top of a dustbug base which is stuck to the TT with thin double sided sticky tape. The Technics items are about a fiver on ebay, but other arm rests are worth looking at too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Ah! There she is. I love that tonearm. I'm glad it's doing the business for you mate. I did say it is better than the SME.

Looks ok with the 2m on too. Almost space age.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Ah! There she is. I love that tonearm. I'm glad it's doing the business for you mate. I did say it is better than the SME.

Looks ok with the 2m on too. Almost space age.

yep, about time too,i was beginning to think sausage fingers had struck again
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    Lol.

It doesn't look bad at all does it. The arm and table combo have read synergy.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    I must have been having a good day Jamie, my fists of ham managed to do the job without incident
    Turntable
    CD
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I must have been having a good day Jamie, my fists of ham managed to do the job without incident
    Hahaha

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast