+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OMG, Life Will Never Be The Same Again, I’ve Just Been Wammed!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Sensitivity is 99dB. So maybe not need as much power as you might think.
    What impedance though?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

No matter how good, this is ultimately speaker drive units, probably bought in from the likes of Seas etc in a collection of boxes and £1000,000 for the full system is obscene IMHO....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Yeah, after the appearance and heavy non-essential engineering is taken away, they're still moderately priced drive units 'in a complex box.'

I get more interested in the big pro ATC's, PMC's, Questeds and so on, which cost well under £50k if fully amplified I believe...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Shane.

I'm afraid this is just another prime example of Hi-Fi rip-off!

Those hideous looking speakers, probably cost just a couple grand to make!

S.

I'm Spartacus.

Well that didn't take long. I wonder how many keyboard warriors have actually heard a pair of Wilsons, even the cheaper ones. As for drivers, speculation is merely opinion unless you all have evidence? Of course, if it were only a few grand worth, actions speak louder...
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    What impedance though?
    Don't know couldn't find any proper specs or measurements.

As regard the price there is no way you could build these for just 'a couple of thousand.' Absurd. As for drive units if the drive unit can do what you need it to do it doesn't matter how inexpensive it is. One advantage of a multi driver array over the single driver or 2 way is that you are not asking as much from each individual driver. So they don't need to be super-special and expensive. You only need that if you want a driver that can cover a wide bandwidth without breaking up too much. In any case I think at least some of the drive units were developed specially for this application. Hard to find out exactly since the reviews are all full of the usual flim-flam instead of useful facts and data.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

The specs matter little really. I doubt many of us are likely to be in the market for these.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

You can be interested in something even if you will never have the means to buy it. Or even think about buying it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

I'm sure £100K could just about be justified but 10 X that?
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm jamie.

for me something that big has to look nice as well and for that money they should,i like the line,'the speakers just disappeared' lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast