+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone familiar with these IMF transmission line speakers, labelled MDKT

I'm John.

Default Is anyone familiar with these IMF transmission line speakers, labelled MDKT

Hi Folks,

I recently bought a pair of IMF speakers at a local auction. I mistakenly assumed they were model TLS80. But they are not. Although very similar in appearance there are some distinct differences. The badge on the front says just IMF, rather than IMF Electronics, which usually appears on the TLS80 cabinets. The port at the bottom of the cabinet does not have the central division. They are on castors, which I am 99% certain are factory fitted. The label on the back says they are type MDKT. They stand 40" high.

It would be great if I could find out what MDKT stands for.

I have found one completed listing on ebay where the seller refers to them as Professional Monitors, and also some guy in New Zealand mentioning he has bought a pair (also assuming they were TLS80s). There is a dedicated website for IMF electronics (http://www.imf-electronics.com) but it makes no mention of the type MDKT (unfortunately, neither does it have a Contact page or email address).

So I am now at a bit of a dead-end. If anyone has any info on these it would be greatly appreciated.

front.jpgbadge.jpgsansgrille.jpgdrivers.jpglabel.jpg

I'm Edward.

Although I don't think the following link contains the info you want perhaps the website owner (Richard Torrens) has some IMF documents he has not yet scanned?

http://ukhhsoc.torrens.org/makers/IMF/index.html
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Hugh.

That label looks a bit suss. IMF were based in High Wycombe.

I visited the factory there myself in the 70s.

I'm Martin.

They might have been building them under licence for export or something similar. The 1970s were the wild west for UK hi-fi manufacturing, before the big corporations bought everyone up. A lot of it isn't documented, you can only find out about it from talking with people who were there at the time. And even they can be a bit hazy about it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Hugh.

Any update on this?

I'm Martyn.

It might be worth contacting Falcon Acoustics.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    Any update on this?
    Yes, as suggested by Martyn Miles, I got in touch with Jerry at Falcon Acoustics...

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    It might be worth contacting Falcon Acoustics.
    Which I did. Here is a copy of the email Jerry at Falcon Acoustics sent me

"Hi John. These are the Domestic early versions of the Professional Monitor, built before the company fully became IMF. They will date back to about late 1972. They were designed by John Wright and built out of the back of an electrical shop in Oxford Road, Caversham, Reading, where they were produced as a joint venture with the electrical shop owner. The company was then called Transmission Electronics Ltd, and the products were badged IMF. Eventually the joint venture folded as the shop owner decided it wasn’t his “thing” any more, and the IMF side went off I think around mid 1973 to High Wycombe and founded IMF Electronics Ltd.

There was an acrimonious court case running at the same time over the IMF trade mark, IMF was Irving “Bud” Fried, who found John and his colleagues demonstrating the prototypes at the Chicago Audio Show in 1972, and got involved on the marketing side. As no-one had a company name at the time, they all agreed to call it IMF, but the relationship fairly quickly broke down, and resulted in a bitter court case so John and his colleagues could keep the IMF trade mark, which they eventually won. The echoes still rumble on to this day.

I can’t remember what MKDT stands for precisely, it was something Monitor Domestic ? ?.. I can tell you they retailed in 1972 at £102.18s 0p, so they were never a cheap speaker. Sonically they were outstanding for the period.

Does that help?

Best wishes Jerry"

So that clears up a few things.

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercian View Post

So that clears up a few things.
    Certainly does - v interesting.

How do they sound? What is the kit you are using to drive these speakers?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Lawrence.

How lovely to see such a rare pair of early IMFs in such good condition and still going strong. I'm occasionally up in the Durham area and if at any point you would like to move them on, I'd be more than happy to give them a new home. Failing that, I'd love to hear them.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast