+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign of the times we live in?

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I created a discussion thread on one of the music discussion forums, and after a few interesting posts and comments, my thread was deleted by the admins. When I asked them why was the thread deleted, they replied that the thread got deleted because thread title contained the word 'worst', and that word is not allowed on their forum (sic!)

I then asked if the word 'best' is allowed, to which they replied 'of course, by all means'.

So we seem to be living in the age that I could label 'Terror of Positivism'. Only positive words and expressions are now allowed.

So my question is: what's next?
    This does seem to be a major issue these days yes and it has become something of a bete noire for me. If one is REALLY critical of something, many forums really don't like it... the implication being that someone else who really likes the thing you are being critical of may be offended I guess. I am completely opposed to this personally but it seems the rot is set in and spreading.... On this very forum I have been forced to agree not to tell the truth about mains cables and "hi fi fuses" etc ie I'm not to join threads on the subject and pour cold water on the idea that they can even possibly have any effect.... On The Guardian site the other day I've been pretty much kicked off for suggesting (in a feminism thread) that women by and large have already achieved equality with men, that the jobs done, and much "beating of dead horses" is now going on. The no doubt "dungaree positive" moderators didn't like this! I wasn't allowed to make that argument, every such post was deleted. I would not shut up as I had a valid point which I was presenting in a polite manner and I refused to be censored.. so they kicked me off!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Even those of us who used to live there think the same I assure you! It's an interesting place to visit... provided you've plenty of money... but you would have to pay me a lot of money to live there!!
    My friend, who is just a regular bloke, loves it there. I think he was born and raised there, so that may explain it.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

This does seem to be a major issue these days yes and it has become something of a bete noire for me. If one is REALLY critical of something, many forums really don't like it... the implication being that someone else who really likes the thing you are being critical of may be offended I guess. I am completely opposed to this personally but it seems the rot is set in and spreading.... On this very forum I have been forced to agree not to tell the truth about mains cables and "hi fi fuses" etc ie I'm not to join threads on the subject and pour cold water on the idea that they can even possibly have any effect.... On The Guardian site the other day I've been pretty much kicked off for suggesting (in a feminism thread) that women by and large have already achieved equality with men, that the jobs done, and much "beating of dead horses" is now going on. The no doubt "dungaree positive" moderators didn't like this! I wasn't allowed to make that argument, every such post was deleted. I would not shut up as I had a valid point which I was presenting in a polite manner and I refused to be censored.. so they kicked me off!
    That I find quite concerning. While I'm all for moderating rude, uncivilized behaviour and controlling the ad hominem patterns, banning someone for politely providing counter arguments is where we enter the slippery slope. The next thing on the horizon is totalitarianism where the biggest original sin is pointing out that the Emperor hasn't got any clothes on.

And we all know how that thing ends...
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I dare say I've been around quite a while, but I really do remember when many folk did not bother too much about locking their doors. Then a burglary made the front page in local papers and a murder was so rare it hit the front page of the national papers. All everyday occurrences now and homes are well locked with CCTV installed and still get robbed.
    It's the inflated prices and casual rudeness and lack of concern for others that get to me.... The no speaking on the tube, the having to learn not to make eye contact with anyone, learning that if you ask someone for directions they will probably ignore you and speed up whilst checking their pockets or handbag are still intact!
    Many a time when crossing London bridge I thought "I wonder how many people would step over me and do nothing if I had a heart attack right now?"

I know also from experience that most Londoners are as nice as any one else... but only once they are at home, relaxed in their local pub etc.. on the street it's a totally different matter.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Dave.

It's the inflated prices and casual rudeness and lack of concern for others that get to me.... The no speaking on the tube, the having to learn not to make eye contact with anyone, learning that if you ask someone for directions they will probably ignore you and speed up whilst checking their pockets or handbag are still intact!
    Many a time when crossing London bridge I thought "I wonder how many people would step over me and do nothing if I had a heart attack right now?"

I know also from experience that most Londoners are as nice as any one else... but only once they are at home, relaxed in their local pub etc.. on the street it's a totally different matter.
    Seems to be the same most places these days Jez... one thing i found years ago is apart from rush hour ( no one would want to travel on the tube at that time), most people on the tube around central London are tourists. Prices , yes central expensive, go out a wee bit can be very cheap. Rudeness, unfortunately most places have rude people North and South UK, same with concern for others. A short while back in Taunton Somerset, there was a tramp/wino semi conscious bleeding head lying half on pavement half on road, with people not helping him , but filming him on their phones. I asked if an ambulance was called no said a thing, but when i lent down to help him, the vibe and insults i had was outrageous.
    Years ago an American friend said to me how dirty London was , rubbish all over. I pointed out there were no bins, due to IRA bombs etc, but still no excuse to litter.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Martin.

London was a dump 30 years ago but it isn't like that now.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

My experience of London, as a frequent visitor, is that the people themselves ARE friendly and helpful. My girlfriend who lives there has no trouble getting someone to help her carry heavy bags up or down the stairs at her local overground railway station (which doesn't have a lift or ramp). And when it comes to asking directions, I have even had people stop and use an app on their mobile phone to help me; one even phoned up a local taxi company to ask for directions!

London is no different from any other capital city: they all have grafitii, litter, noisy traffic and (sadly) beggars and homeless people sleeping rough. They also have helpful and friendly people living there, who if you approach them properly, will readily help a visitor.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    London was a dump 30 years ago but it isn't like that now.
    You are kidding Martin. The 'touristy' bits may look reasonable, but look elsewhere and it's disgusting. Dave mentioned rubbish, it's totally out of control, filth everywhere. General littering is a way of life for most it seems and fly tipping is all over the place.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

THATS THE WAY I REMEMBER IT ALAS. doh caps again.. keyboard is goosed.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You are kidding Martin. The 'touristy' bits may look reasonable, but look elsewhere and it's disgusting. Dave mentioned rubbish, it's totally out of control, filth everywhere. General littering is a way of life for most it seems and fly tipping is all over the place.
    In modern times I'm only familiar with the centre and Tulse Hill/Brixton. But it didn't strike me as particularly bad in any of those places. Where I live is much worse for litter, for example. Much fewer serious crimes per capita than London, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast