+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Sign of the times we live in?

  1. #1
    Join Date: May 2010

    Location: Vancouver, Canada

    Posts: 1,702
    I'm Alex.

    Question Sign of the times we live in?

    I created a discussion thread on one of the music discussion forums, and after a few interesting posts and comments, my thread was deleted by the admins. When I asked them why was the thread deleted, they replied that the thread got deleted because thread title contained the word 'worst', and that word is not allowed on their forum (sic!)

    I then asked if the word 'best' is allowed, to which they replied 'of course, by all means'.

    So we seem to be living in the age that I could label 'Terror of Positivism'. Only positive words and expressions are now allowed.

    So my question is: what's next?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

    Alex.

  2. #2
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 16,871
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    What's next? Newspeak. In twenty years time it will be impossible for us to even have this conversation.

    How was your trip to London btw?
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Parasound CDPi1000 * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *



    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

  3. #3
    Join Date: May 2010

    Location: Vancouver, Canada

    Posts: 1,702
    I'm Alex.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What's next? Newspeak. In twenty years time it will be impossible for us to even have this conversation.

    How was your trip to London btw?
    Sadly, I think you're right, Martin.

    London blew my mind. Loved every minute while being there! What a marvellous cosmopolitan city.

    Was very saddened by the tragedy and the suffering of many Londoners. I was there when the council flat highrise caught fire and burned many people alive who got trapped inside. I watched the building go up in flames from the balcony of the apartment we rented. Terrible, heartbreaking tragedy.

    Also, my apartment was right across from the Burroughs Market, where the terrorist attack happened. The place had an amazing, resilient defiant vibe. Met with a local friend for a beer there, the place is bustling. The spirit is strong, and people will prevail, that much is obvious.

    Other than that, the city is absolutely beautiful to my eyes. I love visual art, so I spent a lot of time at Tate Modern, which is the next level for me.

    Bottom line, I'm now considering relocating to that city (if only I manage to get a job there).

    Again, many thanks to all of you who offered guidance...
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

    Alex.

  4. #4
    Join Date: Dec 2008

    Location: Lincolnshire, Home by the Sea

    Posts: 3,373
    I'm Shaun.

    Default

    Having every single text message and e-mail scanned by those buggers at RAF Menwith Hill looking for 'words' that are not allowed like 'bomb' 'dirty' and 'thorium' LOL, that will give them something to shout about. And then constantly be accused of being a racist. I feel for the newborns of today I really do what the hell does the future hold for them...?

    Come the revolution

    "For when we got bored we'd have a World war, happy but poor"

  5. #5
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 16,871
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Sadly, I think you're right, Martin.

    London blew my mind. Loved every minute while being there! What a marvellous cosmopolitan city.

    Was very saddened by the tragedy and the suffering of many Londoners. I was there when the council flat highrise caught fire and burned many people alive who got trapped inside. I watched the building go up in flames from the balcony of the apartment we rented. Terrible, heartbreaking tragedy.

    Also, my apartment was right across from the Burroughs Market, where the terrorist attack happened. The place had an amazing, resilient defiant vibe. Met with a local friend for a beer there, the place is bustling. The spirit is strong, and people will prevail, that much is obvious.

    Other than that, the city is absolutely beautiful to my eyes. I love visual art, so I spent a lot of time at Tate Modern, which is the next level for me.

    Bottom line, I'm now considering relocating to that city (if only I manage to get a job there).

    Again, many thanks to all of you who offered guidance...
    You must have loved it if you are thinking of going to live there. I used to get down quite lot when I had a mate living there. So much to see and do but I was always glad to get back to my sleepy little town out in the provinces. Having said that there are some beautiful spots to live in London where it is quiet. A bit spendy, though.
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Parasound CDPi1000 * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *



    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

  6. #6
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 26,194
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    There again, there are those of us who live here in London and regard it as a stinking shithole, where standards have disappeared and crime and disorder are rife.

    Glad you enjoyed it Alex.
    Mr. Tact!

    Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

  7. #7
    Join Date: May 2010

    Location: Vancouver, Canada

    Posts: 1,702
    I'm Alex.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There again, there are those of us who live here in London and regard it as a stinking shithole, where standards have disappeared and crime and disorder are rife.

    Glad you enjoyed it Alex.
    Haha, that goes without saying, Geoff. Every big city is a stinking shithole rife with crime and disorder. It's what's on the upside that counts.

    I found Londoners that I've interacted with to be much more pleasant and down to earth that I would've expected. That's a bonus in my book.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

    Alex.

  8. #8
    Join Date: May 2010

    Location: Vancouver, Canada

    Posts: 1,702
    I'm Alex.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You must have loved it if you are thinking of going to live there. I used to get down quite lot when I had a mate living there. So much to see and do but I was always glad to get back to my sleepy little town out in the provinces. Having said that there are some beautiful spots to live in London where it is quiet. A bit spendy, though.
    Yeah, it's a big mistake expecting big cities to have quiet spots etc. (unless you are loaded and can afford such lifestyle). I explicitly love the bustle and the anonymity big cities offer. Of course, it comes with a huge price tag. But one has to pick one's poison, one way or another.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

    Alex.

  9. #9
    Join Date: Oct 2012

    Location: NE England

    Posts: 4,241
    I'm Jez.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There again, there are those of us who live here in London and regard it as a stinking shithole, where standards have disappeared and crime and disorder are rife.

    Glad you enjoyed it Alex.
    Even those of us who used to live there think the same I assure you! It's an interesting place to visit... provided you've plenty of money... but you would have to pay me a lot of money to live there!!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

    Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

  10. #10
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 26,194
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    I dare say I've been around quite a while, but I really do remember when many folk did not bother too much about locking their doors. Then a burglary made the front page in local papers and a murder was so rare it hit the front page of the national papers. All everyday occurrences now and homes are well locked with CCTV installed and still get robbed.
    Mr. Tact!

    Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •