Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Erm, Jez, that's not quite true. You're perfectly free to "tell the truth" about mains cables and fuses, and outline the facts as you see them, for others to *consider*. What you're not allowed to do (as indeed no-one is) is to dismiss someone else's 'truth' as bollocks, simply because it doesn't fit with yours.

There is a difference!

On AoS, it's all about showing tolerance and respect for other people's opinions and experiences, even if they're contrary to what you consider as 'correct' - and if you can't do that and become frustrated and angry, then you simply ignore the person expressing the 'offending' opinions, in order not to become embroiled in a pointless circular argument. It's that simple.

What you don't do is browbeat them into believing what you believe, no matter how right you think you are. That's what you were doing before and have been asked to stop, which is why you were also asked not to contribute to certain subjective discussions, as you weren't able to control yourself from sometimes being downright rude.

Quite simply, you say what you have to say, but *ultimately* let people believe what they want to believe.

For us to allow otherwise, as you know full well, simply causes all sorts of aggro, because again as you also know, you'll *never* change someone's ingrained opinions on a forum, and it's not you who has to manage the fallouts and all the pish caused by these sorts of arguments!

Marco.
LOL... All of which you know well I couldn't disagree with more strongly!! There is no such thing to me as "someone's truth"!!! It's either true or not true no matter how strongly someone "believes" in it!! Someone may believe the earth is flat so strongly that they would kill to defend "their truth" but the earth would remain round and they would remain 100% wrong.

Don't worry..... I'm not about to start joining subjectivist fuse threads and with religious zeal begin knocking down their arguments by any means possible as I once did Anything for a quiet life