+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign of the times we live in?

I'm Alex.

Question Sign of the times we live in?

I created a discussion thread on one of the music discussion forums, and after a few interesting posts and comments, my thread was deleted by the admins. When I asked them why was the thread deleted, they replied that the thread got deleted because thread title contained the word 'worst', and that word is not allowed on their forum (sic!)

I then asked if the word 'best' is allowed, to which they replied 'of course, by all means'.

So we seem to be living in the age that I could label 'Terror of Positivism'. Only positive words and expressions are now allowed.

So my question is: what's next?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Martin.

What's next? Newspeak. In twenty years time it will be impossible for us to even have this conversation.

How was your trip to London btw?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    What's next? Newspeak. In twenty years time it will be impossible for us to even have this conversation.

How was your trip to London btw?
    Sadly, I think you're right, Martin.

London blew my mind. Loved every minute while being there! What a marvellous cosmopolitan city.

Was very saddened by the tragedy and the suffering of many Londoners. I was there when the council flat highrise caught fire and burned many people alive who got trapped inside. I watched the building go up in flames from the balcony of the apartment we rented. Terrible, heartbreaking tragedy.

Also, my apartment was right across from the Burroughs Market, where the terrorist attack happened. The place had an amazing, resilient defiant vibe. Met with a local friend for a beer there, the place is bustling. The spirit is strong, and people will prevail, that much is obvious.

Other than that, the city is absolutely beautiful to my eyes. I love visual art, so I spent a lot of time at Tate Modern, which is the next level for me.

Bottom line, I'm now considering relocating to that city (if only I manage to get a job there).

Again, many thanks to all of you who offered guidance...
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Shaun.

Having every single text message and e-mail scanned by those buggers at RAF Menwith Hill looking for 'words' that are not allowed like 'bomb' 'dirty' and 'thorium' LOL, that will give them something to shout about. And then constantly be accused of being a racist. I feel for the newborns of today I really do what the hell does the future hold for them...?

Come the revolution

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Sadly, I think you're right, Martin.

London blew my mind. Loved every minute while being there! What a marvellous cosmopolitan city.

Was very saddened by the tragedy and the suffering of many Londoners. I was there when the council flat highrise caught fire and burned many people alive who got trapped inside. I watched the building go up in flames from the balcony of the apartment we rented. Terrible, heartbreaking tragedy.

Also, my apartment was right across from the Burroughs Market, where the terrorist attack happened. The place had an amazing, resilient defiant vibe. Met with a local friend for a beer there, the place is bustling. The spirit is strong, and people will prevail, that much is obvious.

Other than that, the city is absolutely beautiful to my eyes. I love visual art, so I spent a lot of time at Tate Modern, which is the next level for me.

Bottom line, I'm now considering relocating to that city (if only I manage to get a job there).

Again, many thanks to all of you who offered guidance...
    You must have loved it if you are thinking of going to live there. I used to get down quite lot when I had a mate living there. So much to see and do but I was always glad to get back to my sleepy little town out in the provinces. Having said that there are some beautiful spots to live in London where it is quiet. A bit spendy, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

There again, there are those of us who live here in London and regard it as a stinking shithole, where standards have disappeared and crime and disorder are rife.

Glad you enjoyed it Alex.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There again, there are those of us who live here in London and regard it as a stinking shithole, where standards have disappeared and crime and disorder are rife.

Haha, that goes without saying, Geoff. Every big city is a stinking shithole rife with crime and disorder. It's what's on the upside that counts.

I found Londoners that I've interacted with to be much more pleasant and down to earth that I would've expected. That's a bonus in my book.

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You must have loved it if you are thinking of going to live there. I used to get down quite lot when I had a mate living there. So much to see and do but I was always glad to get back to my sleepy little town out in the provinces. Having said that there are some beautiful spots to live in London where it is quiet. A bit spendy, though.
    Yeah, it's a big mistake expecting big cities to have quiet spots etc. (unless you are loaded and can afford such lifestyle). I explicitly love the bustle and the anonymity big cities offer. Of course, it comes with a huge price tag. But one has to pick one's poison, one way or another.

Alex.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

Even those of us who used to live there think the same I assure you! It's an interesting place to visit... provided you've plenty of money... but you would have to pay me a lot of money to live there!!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

I dare say I've been around quite a while, but I really do remember when many folk did not bother too much about locking their doors. Then a burglary made the front page in local papers and a murder was so rare it hit the front page of the national papers. All everyday occurrences now and homes are well locked with CCTV installed and still get robbed.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast