+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: How loud can I go?

  1. #21
    Join Date: Oct 2016

    Location: Bolton, England

    Posts: 554
    I'm Andrew.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronksley View Post
    of course headphose are not an option to me
    Why "of course"?

  2. #22
    Join Date: Oct 2012

    Location: NE England

    Posts: 4,203
    I'm Jez.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    "You're wrong to disagree... It would be as much use as a chocolate fire guard. "

    My strategy or disagreeing?

    Have you heard of the concepts of arrogance, and humility?
    I'm aware of the concepts and consider them hugely over rated actually. Have you heard of the concept of knowing what you are talking about before posting myth as fact?
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

    Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

  3. #23
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 15,445
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I'm aware of the concepts and consider them hugely over rated actually. Have you heard of the concept of knowing what you are talking about before posting myth as fact?
    Not a very constructive remark Jez.

    I do however agree that the use of sound level meters, and the interpretation of the measurements made, is not for the noviciate.

    I have 'played' around with a Maplin SPL meter - I found it of doubtful accuracy and limited to frequencies < 5kHz. But for what its worth when set up 4.2m away from the centre line between my speakers (Quad 57s) and at a height of 0.75m (level with my ears when sat in my chair), I obtained the following figures: -

    Speech at normal conversation level: 55 - 60dBA

    Late night listening (= '6' volume setting on a Quad 44): 60-70dBA

    "Belting it out" (= '10' volume setting on Quad 44): 70-80dBA

    "Shaking the floorboards" (= '14' volume setting) ~ 85-90dBA
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

    Barry

  4. #24
    Join Date: Oct 2012

    Location: NE England

    Posts: 4,203
    I'm Jez.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not a very constructive remark Jez.

    I do however agree that the use of sound level meters, and the interpretation of the measurements made, is not for the noviciate.

    I have 'played' around with a Maplin SPL meter - I found it of doubtful accuracy and limited to frequencies < 5kHz. But for what its worth when set up 4.2m away from the centre line between my speakers (Quad 57s) and at a height of 0.75m (level with my ears when sat in my chair), I obtained the following figures: -

    Speech at normal conversation level: 55 - 60dBA

    Late night listening (= '6' volume setting on a Quad 44): 60-70dBA

    "Belting it out" (= '10' volume setting on Quad 44): 70-80dBA

    "Shaking the floorboards" (= '14' volume setting) ~ 85-90dBA
    Add in the directionality versus frequency, power handling versus frequency, power handling versus time, the inverse square law applying to sound from a point source (or approximating a point source) and the differing reflectivity/absorption of rooms and I think we could say that gauging safe power handling for a speaker using a SPL meter would be pretty useless...

    The best protection I know of is that once used by KEF in their "S-Stop" technique. I believe B&W had something similar....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

    Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

  5. #25
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 16,833
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    Well I like to play at a decent volume and I've never blown or damaged a speaker in 30 odd years so it can't be that easy to do.
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Technics SL1200 with Sumiko h/s & Nagaoka MP50 * Firebottle valve MM phono stage * Parasound CDPi1000 * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *



    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

  6. #26
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 15,445
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Well I like to play at a decent volume and I've never blown or damaged a speaker in 30 odd years so it can't be that easy to do.
    Me neither, but then I've always used an appropriate amp for my speakers: one that has a maximum peak output voltage of < 30V.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

    Barry

  7. #27
    Join Date: Dec 2014

    Location: England Sheffield and/or Nottingham

    Posts: 139
    I'm David.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Why "of course"?
    yes why of course ?
    Not sure just never consider headphones as an option and assume that much use would further damage my hearing
    I just like speakers and the way noise comes at you and washes over you I think listening with the whole body is better than just using ears

  8. #28
    Join Date: Aug 2016

    Location: Edinburgh

    Posts: 75
    I'm Patrick.

    Default

    I certainly enjoy listening to music on headphones however I do ultimately think it's best enjoyed from a
    good set of speakers. Isn't music itself performed aloud?

  9. #29
    Join Date: Mar 2017

    Location: Seaford UK

    Posts: 226
    I'm Dennis.

    Default

    "I'm aware of the concepts and consider them hugely over rated actually. Have you heard of the concept of knowing what you are talking about before posting myth as fact? "
    Yes AE, the first part is fairly evident now I think about it.

    I stand by what I said, and I do analyse my thought processes not only in electronics, but in all else.

    With a manufacturer's specified maximum spl O/P for a speaker, an spl meter is of use in knowing whether or not one is approaching the maximum limit of I/P power to a speaker.

    I have formed the impression that you overate yourself and also are rude.

  10. #30
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 26,114
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Dennis. I'd suggest you and Jez 'debate' this no further. Thanks.
    Mr. Tact!

    Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •