+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How loud can I go?

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I disagree with AE about the sound pressure level meter, quite apart from ear protection.

If you have a specification of maximum spl for a speaker, its use can be a guide, but I agree with what as has been said above; if a speaker is able to produce a high spl without distorting, it is hard for the ear to determine.
    You're wrong to disagree... It would be as much use as a chocolate fire guard.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    You should know, Jez Have you got them fixed, sorry, replaced yet?
    Beware of coming back from a live pub gig, half cut, with ears still ringing from said gig, noticing neighbours are out and deciding to REALLY crank it up
    I've not even looked at them since then... but the 105/3's will live again if there is any way possible, short of spending lots of money, as they are the best speaker I've ever owned by a long way.... in fact I can't think of any speaker at any price that I would replace them with! Your amp will be ready in a day or two BTW.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Beware of coming back from a live pub gig, half cut, with ears still ringing from said gig, noticing neighbours are out and deciding to REALLY crank it up
    I've not even looked at them since then... but the 105/3's will live again if there is any way possible, short of spending lots of money, as they are the best speaker I've ever owned by a long way.... in fact I can't think of any speaker at any price that I would replace them with! Your amp will be ready in a day or two BTW.
    I once got back from a gig and somehow programmed a CD I had bought of the band to repeat on tracks 4 and 14 both with lots of bass my old house mate still brings it up to this day I slept till the afternoon and that was twenty years ago ho hum

I feel ok avoiding distortion with records I know but with online sources that are already buggured up with limited bandwidth / compression etc I fine it hard to work out whats going on
    think I am going to struggle to blow anything I only live in a two up two down front room is only 12 foot square ? The main problem I have is not being able to hear high frequencies some stuff just feels muddy because of this. I know the Teac could do some damage those poor little JPWs.
    Last edited by Ronksley; 12-07-2017 at 18:53. Reason: I can no spell write

I'm Martin.

David you probably sussed this already but those JPW mini monitors are not up to much. I had some for a while, with sub, not the worst speaker I've owned but in the bottom 5. I've no idea why people all over the forums rate them. Your Mordaunt Shorts are in a different league but they are still a bit small and easy to overload. I've lived in loads of 2 up 2 downs and I know you could get away with something a lot bigger and better in there.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

I just find the sweet spot to compensate for inefficient speakers but I usually listen at very low volumes with the volume control well below 9 o clock.

I have exprienced white noise in here through PA speakers and loud volume is not pleasant to me in the home environment. In my small home I dont need loud volume and unfortunately most of us have neighbours to think about. Those are 12" drivers with a very high efficiency and I can get the feel of some real bass at very low volumes

I think if I didnt have neighbours I could get into the mentality of much louder volumes in a proper music room.

Also I dont want to drive Royds hard as no spare drivers are available. I experiment with sound and can have four speakers running in here on two L/R channels from the same amp....all at very low volume and just finding that sweet spot

There is music that demands a good bit of volume but that tends to be headphone time for me.

Best wishes
    Martin
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 13-07-2017 at 19:58.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I just find the sweet spot to compensate for inefficient speakers but I usually listen at very low volumes with the volume control well below 9 o clock.

I have exprienced white noise in here through PA speakers and loud volume is not pleasant to me in the home environment. In my small home I dont need loud volume and unfortunately most of us have neighbours to think about. Those are 12" drivers with a very high efficiency and I can get the feel of some real bass at very low volumes

I think if I didnt have neighbours I could get into the mentality of much louder volumes in a proper music room.

Also I dont want to drive Royds hard as no spare drivers are available. I experiment with sound and can have four speakers running in here on two L/R channels from the same amp....all at very low volume and just finding that sweet spot

There is music that demands good bit of volume but that tends to be headphone time for me.

Best wishes
    Martin
    get rid of your neighbours by moving of course headphose are not an option to me

and reply to Macca I have better speaker in my bedroom Castle Wariscks Raurks Epilogues
    I have no one in next door so can crank it up
    I really rate the JPWs cheap and cheerful

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronksley View Post
    get rid of your neighbours by moving of course headphose are not an option to me

and reply to Macca I have better speaker in my bedroom Castle Wariscks Raurks Epilogues
    I have no one in next door so can crank it up
    I really rate the JPWs cheap and cheerful
    Epilogues are a top speaker. We cam disagree about the JPW
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

"You're wrong to disagree... It would be as much use as a chocolate fire guard. "

My strategy or disagreeing?

Have you heard of the concepts of arrogance, and humility?

I'm Patrick.

Interesting reading about people's experience of listening to music at loud volumes. I'm 41 and I've more or less stopped listening to music through headphones due to concerns that it was causing damage to my hearing, this despite the fact that I only every used them at home and what I considered to be low to medium volume levels for limited periods maybe a few times a week. Currently I am listening to music through a pair of tannoy precision 6.1 standmounts, if I listen to maybe 40 minutes at 9oclock or above I would experience some discomfort later in the day. At the moment I am learning to appriecate listening to music at a volume I would consider sub optimal in the past. I would love to have a set of floor standers but do wonder how much use the average listener gets from them, that's assuming that like me most people live in built up areas with neighbours in close proximity.

I'm Dennis.

The trouble with headphones is that they can produce high spls without any indication that they are doing so by distorting, and the young with their 'phones are at serious risk currently because of this.

Tinnitus and hyperacusis becon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast