+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How loud can I go?

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Most reputable speaker drive unit manufacturer used to state Max SPL figures as well as Max power handling, one could easily establish then for eg, if a drive unit had a maximum SPL of say 114 db, and a sensitivity of 96 db per watt, per mtr, then well,,,I am sure most will understand where I am coming from on this...
    Distortion, and paticularly certain aspects of distortion can be a tel tale sign that something is too loud, however, when you have an amp that has lots of clean power, then it can be quite easy to reach SPL levels not only damaging to the drive unit, but to long term human hearing too!
    It's far more commonly quoted for single drive units than for speaker systems of course and for obvious reasons! If where you are going here is to agree with phar-off then yes if you have an anechoic chamber, a calibrated measuring mic, a source of a test signal (usually pink noise) and can set the mic up precisely on axis at one Meter then it is possible to do it. Now try it in a normal reflective room, using music as the signal, with a pair of multiway speakers rather than a single drive unit and a typically only +/- 20% accurate SPL meter.... Absolutely no way in a month of Sundays will you get any sort of meaningful measurement whatsoever....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Dennis.

I feel it relevant to state regarding AE's post 34, that he is not being objective.

He dismisses my posited use of an spl meter, which I still feel will give some approximation.

He has posted that I have insulted him, when in fact I have not, but have merely asked him questions, and stated my impression of his opinion of himself, and his thinking, and without insulting him.

By contrast you will see that he has actually insulted me.

I have always sought intellectual rigour in all I do, and I always ensure that others' feelings are respected, and such behaviour is so violating to that ethos that I think I probably should not post on the forum.

I'm Geoff.

Dennis. I may be wrong, but my feeling is that neither you nor Jez have been exactly 'diplomatic' towards each other. Rather than my going into an analysis of what has been said, I'd suggest perhaps your finding other threads to contribute to for the time being might be best. Same applies to Jez if it avoids perpetuating friction.

Only you can decide if you should post on the forum, but there is no reason why you should not that I can see. So please carry on.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Dennis. I may be wrong, but my feeling is that neither you nor Jez have been exactly 'diplomatic' towards each other. Rather than my going into an analysis of what has been said, I'd suggest perhaps your finding other threads to contribute to for the time being might be best. Same applies to Jez if it avoids perpetuating friction.

Only you can decide if you should post on the forum, but there is no reason why you should not that I can see. So please carry on.
    Didn't read it due to ignore list.
    Face to face over a few pints is very different to the nuances carried by mere punctuation and specific choice of words on a forum.... I'm sure Dennis and I would no doubt get on great if we met up at a bake off etc. I guess we're both people who missed our calling with the diplomatic service!
    Will remove from ignore list tomorrow.
    Don't give up on the best forum around Dennis
    Peace and love,
    Jez.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Yes, I think so. If you put one watt in and stand 1 metre away you'll hear 96dB. If you put two watts in and stand 1 meter away you'll hear 192dB. If you put two watts in and stand two metres away you'll hear 384dB. The poor buggers standing 3 metres away were vapourised before you had time to turn round
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

Not realy agreeing or disagreeing with either of you Jez, just my usual ramblings!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    It's far more commonly quoted for single drive units than for speaker systems of course and for obvious reasons!
    If where you are going here is to agree with phar-off then yes if you have an anechoic chamber, a calibrated measuring mic, a source of a test signal (usually pink noise) and can set the mic up precisely on axis at one Meter then it is possible to do it.
    Now try it in a normal reflective room, using music as the signal, with a pair of multiway speakers rather than a single drive unit and a typically only +/- 20% accurate SPL meter.... Absolutely no way in a month of Sundays will you get any sort of meaningful measurement whatsoever....
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.

I'm Geoff.

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Great!
    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Nikola Tesla

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Your amp will be ready in a day or two BTW.
    Sorry, Jez, just spotted this ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345