+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Help needed! Where to start with open baffle speakers

I'm Geoff.

Never seen Martin addressed as "sir" before!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

Hi Martin,

No problem with the editing. I am still considering if additional information would be useful, and whether to provide the original drawings, if anyone wants to experiment. So the layout is yet to be finalised.

Sixteen B200s, custom machined baffles, aluminium extrusion frames, stands, wire and connectors cost me around £3000 in materials ten years ago. No labour factored in as I was doing this for myself. Expect 50% higher now. I have not felt the need to change these arrays for 10 years other than to consider what better full range drive units would bring to the table.

Hi Jez,

Yep, the world is full of speaker designs trying to get a quart out of a pint pot.

I experimented with smaller Visaton paper coned full range drivers with reasonably high Qts and these were quite good but not in the same class as the B200, and they definitely required sub woofers to fill out the low frequency end whereas the B200 array does not require a subwoofer.
    Paul Hynes Design
    paulhynesdesign.com
    High Performance Power Supply upgrades
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16655

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Yeah the big problem is that woofers for OB need pretty specific characteristics...
    It might be helpful and/or interesting to spell out what these requirements are so potential builders can look for suitable drivers in their chosen price range. It looks like the prices can go pretty stratospheric!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910