+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Dubai...

I'm Nick.

Should point out that Dubai is just not cheap - most things are expensive here, even the duty free... There are actually loads of malls but the two I mentioned are by far the biggest. We don't like them much as they are soooo big that it's exhausting trying to get stuff - it's daunting!

The food in the food halls is ok, but, hey, you can get fast food anywhere.

Most Arabic restaurants are Lebanese run, which is really good, though a few are actually Turkish (still good!). Waiters are helpful with choice and Wafi Gourmet is good.

The fountains and the Burj put on a spectacular show on the hour and at half past from 6 until 11 PM. 500ft high! Not to be missed!

https://thedubaimall.com/en/entertai...bai-fountain-1
    Last edited by nickds1; 28-07-2017 at 05:08.
    The whole plan hinged on the natural curiosity of potatoes...

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by nickds1 View Post
    Should point out that Dubai is just not cheap - most things are expensive here, even the duty free... There are actually loads of malls but the two I mentioned are by far the biggest. We don't like them much as they are soooo big that it's exhausting trying to get stuff - it's daunting!

The food in the food halls is ok, but, hey, you can get fast food anywhere.

Most Arabic restaurants are Lebanese run, which is really good, though a few are actually Turkish (still good!). Waiters are helpful with choice and Wafi Gourmet is good.

The fountains and the Burj put on a spectacular show on the hour and at half past from 6 until 11 PM. 500ft high! Not to be missed!

https://thedubaimall.com/en/entertai...bai-fountain-1

Yes indeed Nick, This is what I've heard.
    We have breakfast included in the stay so plan is to head out ion the evenings, shop, look around and eat cheaper hopefully at the restaurants like the one you've recommended.
    I'm going to have to be very savvy with the dough I'm bringing as it wont be a lot.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by nickds1 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not good at writing up projects, but I wrote up a couple of small ones on http://www.desmith.net/NMdS/Electronics - the Quad 405-2 rebuild is there and some other small stuff.

Most of the rest is in forum posts on AT or elsewhere - many other projects around the web - mostly HV stuff to do with solid-state Tesla coils & EM can-crushers etc.

Currently I'm working on an ultra-low-noise heater supply - there's a lot of tech in it and hopefully it'll sound good too - specs are 2-20V @ up to 10A, ideal bridge, SMPS pre-regulator, ultra-low-noise linear secondary regulator, current sourced (Hi-Z) floating output (can be biased +/- 1kV), programmable slow start and shutdown, opto-isolated power-good out and power on/off input.

Because of the use of the ideal bridge and pre-regulator, efficiency should be very high (c. 90%) and power dissipation very low - one of my pet hates with DHT and other purely linear supplies is the huge heat output, coupled with switching noise from the bridge and transformer ringing etc. (although that can be mitigated with suitable snubbing) - this is all well documented by Morgan Jones and others in Linear Audio and elsewhere. There are some cool features too, like true linear current increase during soft-start, not the usual simple RC model - much kinder on a cold filament...

Another advantage of an SMPS regulator is that I may make it a buck/boost, i.e. it could be possible to use a lower voltage xfrmr winding to drive a higher voltage heater... buck/boost is a more complex configuration requiring more real estate and adds to what is an already complex project - this is a nice to have, not must have.

There are a lot of engineering issues to work through, specifically with managing any EMI (not that big a deal), but I have a bunch of 6C33Cs and 13E1s etc. that need a good, compact, efficient heater supply... The prototypes are looking and sounding good but there is a bunch of work still to do.

As I'm mostly out of the UK and away from my workshops now, it's unlikely I'll have boards for others before the year end, but I'm always hopeful
    That's some ott no compromise filament supply! How about Cuk or Sepic for that SMPS? You may find a thread on linear V SMPS on here interesting... I've been arguing that so long as well designed and followed by suitable filtration and a linear regulator there is nothing to fear from SMPS...

I've got a fair few Nixies here at Arkless Towers... and 74141's to drive 'em... never done anything with them though.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Neil.

Welcome. I thought it never went above 49.9 deg C in Dubai.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Welcome. I thought it never went above 49.9 deg C in Dubai.
    Whatever Wikipedia and others may say, there were three of us who registered 51C or over... it was seriously hot hot hot. Hotter than Warrington, for sure

Last year, in Al Ain (about 150km inland from Dubai), it hit 62C at the government agricultural research station there - I know this as we have beehives there and the wax in the hives was melting and flowing out the front! (there is also an official weather station on the site).

I'm Grant.

dubai's record is 55c so well over 49.9..... plus the humidity adds plenty on to the feels like
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Robert.

Basically common sense has to prevail - you cant giving it the big un staying out in it and we certainly wont be as much as we like the sun and hot weather.

From the numerous colleagues and people who we've spoken to, you stay out of it in the day and head out later in the evening when it isn't so extreme to check things out, eat and so, that's how we'll play it

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    ...From the numerous colleagues and people who we've spoken to, you stay out of it in the day and head out later in the evening when it isn't so extreme to check things out, eat and so, that's how we'll play it
    Absolutely - locals only go outside very briefly during the day in the summer - you're a puddle of sweat within 100mtrs or so. Everything is air-con though, even a lot of the car parks, so you don't get very yucky... The evenings are still mid 30s and humidity is high - at the moment (and for the last couple of weeks) we've had a lot of dust in the air, so visibility is down to just a few km - the dust is very fine & white & settles everywhere, which is why a lot people choose white cars. They look cleaner longer (you're not allowed to have dirty cars). We do a lot of off-roading too, which is an excellent way of trashing a car and having fun - plus, the mountains & wadis are extraordinarily beautiful and very few folk go there.

You wouldn't think it, but there's a rickets (vitamin D deficiency) issue here with some kids due to lack of sunlight - they have to take supplements.

http://www.msn.com/en-ae/news/newsen...ViM?ocid=wispr

All sensible stuff aside, Dubai is a great hub - whilst the city is shallow, i.e. pretty much everything here is less than 20 years old and manufactured for effect, we are surrounded by amazing places - extraordinary countries and cultures. There are a HUGE number of fascinating countries within 3 hours drive or flight. My wife (who speaks Arabic) and I just love it.

One of the rare level (and good) bits of the track from Khasab in the north of Mussandam to Dibba in the south. 160km long, high up through the northern Al Hajar mountains - no other vehicles. The photo looks like we're not up high, be we are - this is an ancient river flood plain high in the mountains - been dry for many 1000s of years.
    IMG-20161016-WA0004-1024x576.jpg
    Last edited by nickds1; 29-07-2017 at 06:50.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    That's some ott no compromise filament supply! How about Cuk or Sepic for that SMPS? You may find a thread on linear V SMPS on here interesting... I've been arguing that so long as well designed and followed by suitable filtration and a linear regulator there is nothing to fear from SMPS...

I've got a fair few Nixies here at Arkless Towers... and 74141's to drive 'em... never done anything with them though.
    Some of my SMPS designs have made in into commercial audio products, mostly in the guitar effects world.

However, for my own amps, I really don't like the sound they produce when used for B+ - I'm happy with them as pre-regulators for heaters, but not as HT (except in the cases noted).

On the nixie front - I still have about 12,000 in stock 74141s are OK, but very old school and real-estate-costly way of driving them - some of the real biggies, like the CD47s/GR114s require a lot of care.

Personally, I quite like the panaplex segmented tubes as they can display alphanumerics and thus can do cute things like "four letter word" (FLW) stuff

Little two-digit IN-18 clock showing 11:36 (hours then minutes) plus a neat little Rasberry Pi 3 running max2play with an E88CC headphone amp.
    IMG_20170729_113734-1024x768.jpg.
    Last edited by nickds1; 29-07-2017 at 07:59.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    dubai's record is 55c so well over 49.9..... plus the humidity adds plenty on to the feels like
    It was a joke regarding building sites in Dubai... you're not supposed to work outdoors when the temperature reaches 50 deg C. It's no laughing matter really because it's resulted in deaths through the years. I have a family friend who lives out there.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12