+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Living Voice alternatives

I'm Jonathan.

I moved from Avatars to Tune Audio Primes, primarily as the Avatars would not work in a small room when we moved house, but I also wanted to improve on the treble presence and define the bass better. The primes do this without sacrificing the midrange. They are horn loaded with the opening at the bottom. The horn super tweeters come in above 6khz. Treble is sweet and detailed.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny nocash View Post
    Cheers Geoff, but I ashamedly have to admit that appearance is important to me.
    I appreciate that they're top sounding but I do prefer a more modern look.
    I even tried the horns Mummy by autotech!
    What did you think of the mummy's, I suspect they are more lifestyle than substance. I had 200hz tractrix auto tech horns that were very good so I'm not anti auto tech
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Christopher.

I'd throw a pair of Impulse H1s or H2s into the mix...if you can find any

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    What did you think of the mummy's, I suspect they are more lifestyle than substance. I had 200hz tractrix auto tech horns that were very good so I'm not anti auto tech
    I haven't heard the Mummy's but the cabinet shape Is pretty much perfect as far as diffraction goes.

I'm Richard.

Thanks for the further input Jonathan, Paul, Christopher & Matt, appreciated.

With regards to the Mummy's, at first I thought they were very good. Very open, sparkling top end which help produce a wide soundstage. After further listening I found that the bass was a bit 'one-noted' and lacked definition. In fairness, I didn't have a chance to try them with my valve monos which may have helped. Furthermore my room has a suspended floor & bass can be an issue.
    I think the Mummy's could be a brill speaker in the right set up. When Greg (good fella) of G.Point audio who very kindly arranged the demo looked at my room he suggested the hOrns Aria could be a better option. I'm hoping to get hold of a pair soon.
    I've also been looking at the Verity range of speakers, Rienzi, Parsifal, Leonore as they have the option of reversing the bass cabinet. Not easy to get hold of so views on any of their range would be good.
    Cheers guys.

I'm Richard.

Just posted this on the UFC forum so apologies if you've read it already.

I've tried the hOrns Mummy which at first seemed very good, but eventually bugged me as the bass seemed very 'ploddy'. Together with the very sharp uppers gave the impression that the lower mids felt sucked out & lacked drive.

Moved on to Verity Rienzi's, superb but I couldn't get the bass to work in my room. I know it's my 1st floor flat causing the issues, Damn.

Although my LV's are rear ported they still work better in the room than the above. It seems likely that I will push on down the LV route as proof is in the pudding as they say. To keep costs down maybe an upgrade to R3 rather than RW would be OK as I'm not sure that silver wiring is more beneficial than the improved tweeter. Any advice welcome.

In addition, bring on any further recommendations with regards to LV alternatives. I am aware of the Heco Direkt cult��

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

I have a pair of Avatars and for me are just about the ideal speakers for my room and preferences, so I can't be of much help, but have you thought about having a chat with Kevin Scott? I'm sure it could be worthwhile.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    I have a pair of Avatars and for me are just about the ideal speakers for my room and preferences, so I can't be of much help, but have you thought about having a chat with Kevin Scott? I'm sure it could be worthwhile.
    I used to have the Avatars Chris & yes they were a cracking speaker. I've had a chat with Kevin but the end result was that l had a sphincter twitching like a rabbits nostril. Hence I'm on the 2nd hand market.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123