+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Living Voice alternatives

I'm Richard.

Default Living Voice alternatives

I've already posted the same thread on the Wam a couple of months ago so apologies if you're a visitor to the WWF
    I've been unsuccessful in upgrading my LV-OBX R2's to RW's so I'm contemplating alternatives.
    As a user of LV's for nearly 20 years I've lost touch with the competition out there so any suggestions would be welcome.
    A big deviation from their sound may be too much at the mo but a slightly larger soundstage would be great and maybe a tad more openness in the treble.
    I know price isn't always a true indicator of quality but as a guide I was looking to spend approx £4K second hand.
    Any thoughts out there?
    Cheers

I'm Geoff.

With that budget, you could pick up a near new pair of Tannoy Kensingtons. The soundstage and openness may well be to your liking.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

lordmortlock Guest

Ever tried raising the lvs up a bit to get the tweeter higher mate? I found it turned a good speaker into an exceptional one and made for a much bigger, wider sound.

I'm Richard.

Cheers Geoff, but I ashamedly have to admit that appearance is important to me.
    I appreciate that they're top sounding but I do prefer a more modern look.
    I even tried the horns Mummy by autotech!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmortlock View Post
    Ever tried raising the lvs up a bit to get the tweeter higher mate? I found it turned a good speaker into an exceptional one and made for a much bigger, wider sound.
    Yes mate, my R2's currently sit on granite blocks atop of mana clone bases which have raised the height by 5 inches. Yes it does help.

I'm Richard.

I take it that with the exception of Tannoys, the LV's have no rivals

I'm Martin.

Picking speakers for someone else especially at a rarefied price point isn't that easy. Plus you said you don't want to stray too far from the LV sound.

At £4K used the sky is the limit if you are prepared to travel to collect.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

The difficulty is that there are so many, often obscure, makes of speaker out there in the upper range of quality, that it seems impossible to even know of them, let alone hear them.

I'm Geoff.

If you need modern looking speaker with a character that won't be too far removed from Living Voice, I guess you could look a Zingali models, they have a certain vitality.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richard.

Cheers Macca & Pharos, I agree with your points.
    It's a big speaker world out there so that's why I'm asking if other members (especially if they had LV's before) if they have any suggestions to cut down the field a bit.
    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast